Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

how to get (bbPress) Recent Replies to show reply content

• varsitysmack
    Participant

@varsitysmack

I want to be able to show the reply content in the (bbPress) Recent Replies widget, not just the topic title. I would like to be able to show either the entire reply text or a portion of the reply text (limit it to characters). Is there a way to do this?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Anything is possible, but you’ll currently need to write your own widget to make it happen. You’ll most likely want to strip out any formatting, and limit the length also (similar to a WordPress excerpt.)

If you’re able to make this happen and contribute your changes upstream, it would be a great addition to bbPress core for 2.2.

varsitysmack
    Participant

@varsitysmack

I was able to get this to work using a custom page.php file, some sql to pull the data and a truncate function to minimize the number of characters replied. You can view the result of my work at: dev [dot] silverdoctors [dot] com/topic/testing-topic/.

The final thing that would be really cool is to have the ability to have a jquery loader that when a button is clicked, would load, lets say, 10 more recent site-wide forum replies. Or even better yet, a jquery function designed to automatically load new content at the bottom of the screen (by appending to a DOM element) when the user scrolls beyond the element, much like Facebook does with their status updates.

Do you know if anyone has ever done something like this with bbPress? Would you be able to guide me as I go through with this next step of adding the jquery?

Cssmeasap
    Participant

@cssmeasap

Hi! I’d really love to have this functionality as well!

varsitysmack, do you have any more guidance on how you got this to work?

Thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar