Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to change 'Topic not found. Back to ' message?

• Hi,

When our members click on an email notification about a new reply on a thread they’re watching, if they’re not logged in (in their browser) they get an error message:

‘Topic not found. Back to <forum name>.’

I’d like to edit this message. I’d really like it to say something like:

‘Oops, you are not signed in yet. Please click here to sign in.’

Or even better would be to add a login form right there on this page.

I can’t figure out where to edit this error message. I’d really appreciate it if someone would take the time to tell me how to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Here are the details:

bbPress version: 1.0.2

(Note – we’re all scared of upgrading due to using WishList Member plugin in WP to handle memberships, and it has a tendency to go into spasms with new WP versions, and quite possibly a bbPress upgrade could kill it, too. Horrible situation.)

Integrated with WP 2.9.2

Email notification plugin: Post Notification 1.4

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Could anyone at least point out where there could be some info on this?

All I’ve gotten is a rude reply that I should search the internet for answers. I guess that reply got moderated because I only received an email notification of it, and it isn’t here now.

I’m not an idiot. Naturally I googled the heck out of this issue before posting here. And poured over all the bbPress files to see if I could find it myself.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

The rude reply was just spam, not directed toward you or anyone.

The first part of the text comes from topic.php:

./topic.php:14: bb_die(__('Topic not found.'));

The second part from bb-includes/functions.bb-core.php:

./bb-includes/functions.bb-core.php:1230:       <p class="last"><?php printf( __('Back to <a href="%s">%s</a>.'), $uri, bb_get_option( 'name' ) ); ?></p>

It’s not a good idea to modify core files, but that is where the text comes from (2 different core files.)

Maybe instead of that you could just catch if people are logged in, and redirect them to the log in page if not, then once logged in redirect to the topic they were looking for.

Thanks – I just wasn’t in the mood for a RTFM type of message at the time. :)

I appreciate your answer.

Sure, I understand you shouldn’t modify core files unless you have a gun pointed at your head.

Your alternative suggestion sounds great.

I don’t know how to do it, but at least now I have an idea of what to try to figure out what to do. :)

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

The first part will be to determine if the user is logged in.

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/check-if-a-user-is-logged-in#post-19953

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/if-user-is-logged-in-do-if-not-do#post-36822

You will probably use the function bb_is_user_logged_in() to see if they are logged in, if so, you can just continue. If not, then you need to send them to the log in form, and then redirect them after they log in back to the post they were looking for.

you can even show the login form anywhere by calling its function – login_form();

and here is something that will help you – http://blog.ashfame.com/2009/09/show-content-logged-in-status-users-bbpress/

Thanks very much! I’ll read up on it.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar