Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How do I choose the URL name of the bbpress forum?

• justkeepblogging

@justkeepblogging

Hello,

I’m probably missing something obvious, but I can’t set up bbpress to have an URL I choose. I’m able to install it with the address domain.com/bbpress, but I want it to be something personalized.

I’ve searched the forums and tried changing the name fo the zip file, but I can’t figure it out.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • if you have domain.com/bbpress means the folder is named “bbpress” you should rename the folder to your choosing. Then install.

justkeepblogging

@justkeepblogging

Thanks for your help.

I’m not quite sure which folder you mean. Do you mean the one in my directory? I created one called community and when I uploaded the bbpress files into it, the URL didn’t work. I got the Index page of the directories.

Should I rename the zip file as well? I did this and am not sure if it’s what I should be doing.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

If it’s a fresh install do this:

1) Unzip the bbPress zip file

2) Change the newly created folder name from “bbpress” to “community”

3) Browse to /community and install bbPress

Keep in mind that if you have already installed bbPress on /bbpress you can’t simply rename the folder. If you want to rename it follow these steps:

1) Go to bb-admin/options-general.php and change the bbPress URL to the new one

2) If you have custom permalinks open the .htaccess file (on the forum root folder) and change the RewriteBase directive to RewriteBase /community/

3) Rename the folder

justkeepblogging

@justkeepblogging

Thanks for your help. I’ve been trying different things. I’m a techno idiot, so have some stupid questions:

@zaerl

If I did install it and deleted the final, does that make it a fresh install or not? And if I unzip the file do I need to zip it again? Because when I try to upload the folder it will only let me upload by the file.

Even if I uploaded and deleted, does bbpress think it’s still on my blog and do I need to use the second install method?

Thanks!

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

“If I did install it and deleted the final, does that make it a fresh install or not?”

Once you have installed bbPress for the first time it creates several SQL tables.

“And if I unzip the file do I need to zip it again?”

No. A zip file is just a container of files.

“Because when I try to upload the folder it will only let me upload by the file.”

I don’t understand.

“Even if I uploaded and deleted, does bbpress think it’s still on my blog and do I need to use the second install method?”

If you have installed bbPress and you have deleted the folder bbPress is gone. Only the SQL tables remain. If need to erase them with phpmyadmin.

Maybe you should hire someone to do the work for you. bbPress is very simple to install but it requires some basic understanding of file handling and FTP.

justkeepblogging

@justkeepblogging

@zaerl

Thanks again for your help.

I am fairly familiar with transferring files, but I guess this is beyond me. I looked over the install instructions again I couldn’t find anything relating to this.

I think I’ll just leave the URL as domain.com/bbpress. This isn’t for a business so no one will care what it says!

I may try the name change again before I make the board public! Why not make it even more complicated for myself? :-)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar