Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Help with creating member's only section

• aslauda
    Participant

@aslauda

So I was recently given control over my volunteer organizations website after our last webmaster did not follow instructions or help with development.

I’m having some difficulty adjusting to using WordPress, I need to add a Members only forums for the organizations members. the rest of the page needs to be free and open to the public. I will manually add the users in with their emails and assign a generic password that they later can change. I only want them to be able to log into the webpage and not wordpress. I dont want people registering either since it will be done manually.

this is the website http://mnemshonorguard.org/

Im no good at code reading or changing.

I tried using BBPress but wasn’t getting anywhere at all. looking for help the correct application and step by step guide if at all possible,

Many Thanks

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Presume you’ve been through the guides

Step by step guide to setting up a bbPress forum – Part 1

for members only forums set these as private, and only logged in users will see them.

aslauda
    Participant

@aslauda

I tried following the guides, I can set the forums up nice and easy just the private for membership thing i cannot, i get emails every day from spam “registering with the site” even though i dont see any type of registry or loggin

Robin W

@robin-w

on spam

Go in to Dashboard>settings>forums and towards the bottom see if ‘use askimet’ is ticked.

then in

Dashboard>plugins>installed plugins see if askimet is present, enabled, and has a key set

then in

On generally

go to Dashboard>settings>general and see if ‘membership’ ‘anyone can register’ is set if so unset

That should move you on a bit, then come back with your next questions

aslauda
    Participant

@aslauda

Ok I Have the Forums set up and set to private, disabled the anyone can apply to be a member under settings, hopefully that will stop the emails. Now how do i set up the member list? so that they can log in via the website and not webpress? i know i can set their abilities to view certain tabs like subscribers VS moderators.

Example of my set up: On forum topic is open for all member’s to see and comment on
    the other topic is set for Officers only.

and Thanks for all your help Robin

Robin W

@robin-w

Example of my set up: On forum topic is open for all member’s to see and comment on
    the other topic is set for Officers only.

You’ll need my plugin :

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-private-groups/

aslauda
    Participant

@aslauda

That make sense, do i have to manually add in the members on wordpress under “users” even if i only want them to have access to the website and simplify it for them or do i have to find a plugin for that as well?

Because as far as i know, (unless im told differently) they only want a forums for members, it wont be used for anything else for the time being besides the general public website

Robin W

@robin-w

forum access, then for how you want it to work, then they would need to be users

Website access – you said that the rest of the website would have free access to everyone, so they won’t need usernames etc.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar