Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Help displaying forum as a category

• aravoth2011
    Participant

@aravoth2011

Hi everyone. I’ve been trying to display posts from the forum on a static home page so that it gives the appearance of a blog. Basically, I’m using the tewntyeleven theme and I’m using the showcase.php template to display the forum entries.

you can see what I’m going for here.. http://test.objectsinmotion.org

So far, I’ve managed to modify it so that super stickies are put in the featured slideshow. The forum posts are displayed properly, and I’ve managed to pull the topic tags. One of the things I’ve been having a lot of trouble with is displaying the forum a topic is posted in as a category. Normally there is a line of text below the topic excerpt that says, “posted in (category name)” . But it seems that nothing I have tried so far is working. In fact, whenever I try to call the forum title, is displays the topic title instead.

I’m not a programmer, and I know next to nothing about php, I’ve been doing a lot of reading, and trying to learn as much as I can, but I’m just running into a brick wall here. Any help anyone could offer would be much appreciated.

Showcase.php uses content.php to display all that meta data. right now it looks like this..

<?php
    /**
    * The default template for displaying content
    * @package WordPress
    * @subpackage Twenty_Eleven
    * @since Twenty Eleven 1.0
    */
    ?>

<article id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>" <?php post_class(); ?>>
    <header class="entry-header">
    <?php if ( is_sticky() ) : ?>
    <hgroup>
    <h2 class="entry-title"><a>" title="<?php printf( esc_attr__( 'Permalink to %s', 'twentyeleven' ), the_title_attribute( 'echo=0' ) ); ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h2>
    <h3 class="entry-format"><?php _e( 'Featured', 'twentyeleven' ); ?></h3>
    </hgroup>
    <?php else : ?>
    <h1 class="entry-title"><a>" title="<?php printf( esc_attr__( 'Permalink to %s', 'twentyeleven' ), the_title_attribute( 'echo=0' ) ); ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h1>
    <?php endif; ?>

<?php if ( 'topic' == get_post_type() ) : ?>
    <div class="entry-meta">
    <?php twentyeleven_posted_on(); ?>
    </div><!-- .entry-meta -->
    <?php endif; ?>

<?php if ( comments_open() && ! post_password_required() ) : ?>
    <div class="comments-link">
    <?php comments_popup_link( '<span class="leave-reply">' . __( 'Reply', 'twentyeleven' ) . '</span>', _x( '1', 'comments number', 'twentyeleven' ), _x( '%', 'comments number', 'twentyeleven' ) ); ?>
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>
    </header><!-- .entry-header -->

<?php if ( is_search() ) : // Only display Excerpts for Search ?>
    <div class="entry-summary">
    <?php the_excerpt(); ?>
    </div><!-- .entry-summary -->
    <?php else : ?>
    <div class="entry-content">
    <?php the_content( __( 'Continue reading <span class="meta-nav">→</span>', 'twentyeleven' ) ); ?>
    <?php wp_link_pages( array( 'before' => '<div class="page-link"><span>' . __( 'Pages:', 'twentyeleven' ) . '</span>', 'after' => '</div>' ) ); ?>
    </div><!-- .entry-content -->
    <?php endif; ?>

<footer class="entry-meta">
    <?php $show_sep = false; ?>
    <?php if ( 'topic' == get_post_type() ) : // Hide category and tag text for pages on Search ?>
    <?php
    /* translators: used between list items, there is a space after the comma */
    $categories_list = get_the_category_list( __( ', ', 'twentyeleven' ) );
    if ( $categories_list ):
    ?>
    <span class="cat-links">
    <?php printf( __( '<span class="%1$s">Posted in</span> %2$s', 'twentyeleven' ), 'entry-utility-prep entry-utility-prep-cat-links', $categories_list );
    $show_sep = true; ?>
    </span>
    <?php endif; // End if categories ?>
    <?php
    /* translators: used between list items, there is a space after the comma */
    $topic_tags = bbp_get_topic_tag_list( '', __( ', ', 'twentyeleven' ) );
    if ( $topic_tags ):
    if ( $show_sep ) : ?>
    <span class="sep"> | </span>
    <?php endif; // End if $show_sep ?>
    <span class="tag-links">
    <?php printf( __( '<span class="%1$s">Tagged</span> %2$s ', 'twentyeleven' ), 'entry-utility-prep entry-utility-prep-tag-links', $topic_tags );
    $show_sep = true; ?>
    </span>
    <?php endif; // End if $topic_tags ?>
    <?php endif; // End if 'topic' == get_post_type() ?>

<?php if ( comments_open() ) : ?>
    <?php if ( $show_sep ) : ?>
    <span class="sep"> | </span>
    <?php endif; // End if $show_sep ?>
    <span class="comments-link"><?php comments_popup_link( '<span class="leave-reply">' . __( 'Leave a reply', 'twentyeleven' ) . '</span>', __( '<b>1</b> Reply', 'twentyeleven' ), __( '<b>%</b> Replies', 'twentyeleven' ) ); ?></span>
    <?php endif; // End if comments_open() ?>

</footer><!-- #entry-meta -->
    </article><!-- #post-<?php the_ID(); ?> -->

Other things on my to-do list include making the comments section show number of forum replies instead of number of wordpress comments, and changing the author link so that it goes to the bbpress profile of that user instead of a wordpress post archive.

For now though, I’m hoping that someone out there can help me with the “category” issue. Anyone have any ideas?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar