Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Google sitemap for bbPress?

• Do we really need the plugin for making sitemaps for search engines? Does it make bbPress forum more SEO friendly?

The one available is not working with 1.0 Alpha

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• benzilla069

@benzilla069

Weird, it works for me. What seems to be the problem with it?

Hello,

Works for me too

bbPress Sitemap Generator 0.61

I had the plugin installed for some time and on one sunny day I couldn’t post any reply

I deactivated the plugin and everything went back to normal

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

> Do we really need the plugin for making sitemaps

> for search engines?

No

> Does it make bbPress forum more SEO friendly?

No

All the sitemap does is submit a list of URLs to a search engine. It doesn’t do anything else.

Chris, why don’t you think bbPress sitemaps would make forums more SEO friendly?

From Google:

“Creating and submitting a Sitemap helps make sure that Google knows about all the pages on your site, including URLs that may not be discoverable by Google’s normal crawling process.”

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=40318&hl=en

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

My point was that having a sitemap doesn’t make your forum more search engine friendly. I mean, if you have bad page titles, bad meta tags, poor keyword density, none of those things change by listing all your URLs in a file and submitting that to Google.

Don’t get me wrong; I think the sitemap is a good idea, but it can’t fix anything wrong with your site. It just lists all the content that is available on your site and submits that to the search engine. It’s almost a crutch for having BAD SEO:

including URLs that may not be discoverable by Google’s normal crawling process.”

If the site were optimized, Google’s normal crawl process could handle it.

Again, don’t get me wrong, I think sitemaps are a good idea. I use them. But it doesn’t *fix* any SEO problems with your site. That was my only point.

rensenieuwenhuis

@rensenieuwenhuis

In addition to the above, sitemaps give google an indication on how often the URL will be updated, so how often Google should send in its crawlers …

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar