Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Good lesson about spambots

• Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

I´ve been using BBPress since 2009. And I remember having many discussions here about spambots.

Particulary, I remember this one issue I was having with spambots registering. But never doing anything.

And slowly over the years, many of them has managed to sneak their way into my user database, but never actually posting any harm. And I thought after years, it would stay that way. Untill yesterday.

Yesterday, all of the spambots that had registered over time, were starting to post. ALL at the same time. It was an absolute mess, and a huge surprise that these longtime passive bots, seemed to be set on 12th of january 2013. I had to go in there and manually delete more than 50 bots.

This was absolutely time consuming as well, because I´m still using BBPress 1.02, since I dont understand how to upgrade it.

But for those of you who remember this issue, and thought these bots would stay passive, think again. They will strike. So better protect against all of them. Its just wierd that they took so long in “hibernation mode”. We´re talking years here.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Is nobody seing this or..=

Shane Gowland
    Participant

@thewebatom

Is nobody seing this or..=

Yup, seeing it. But your post it pretty clear and informative, so there really isn’t much to add.

You should look into upgrading to bbPress 2.0, that way proven antispam WordPress plugins (Akismet, Bad Behaviour et al) can provide what’s clearly much-needed  protection to your community.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar