Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Godaddy installation issues

• Hi,

So I uploaded the uncompressed files as instructed. Which of course come wrapped in a folder. Not being instructed otherwise, I uploaded the entire folder, wondering silently how the server would know how to handle the files.

Item number 4 carries the rather cryptic instruction to “Visit the intended URL of the bbPress site” which I think means to go to the website to which the bbPress files have been uploaded. Which I did.

Then it says that “You will be greeted with the bbPress installer”

Of course this didn’t happen.

Okay, so I figured you must have to remove the containing folder after all. So reupped the files now in unwrapped form.

Having done this a screen did appear which queried for database info. I entered all of that and it said that it “couldn’t establish a connection with the database”.

So I went into godaddy and created a new one thinking perhaps the password was wrong (though I checked it three times).

Maybe this was my undoing: I looked at the Godaddy instructions for installing bbPress. They claim you should edit the bb_config file directly. So I put in the database info for the new database. The sticking point is always the host name which everyone defaults as ‘localhost’. But that doesn’t work with Godaddy. So I pulled the hostname from the Server variables and settings and put that in the quotes. I upped that and….

Now it is saying I have to edit a table prefix which I assume is this line:

$bb_table_prefix = ‘bb_’;

I really have no idea what would go here.

Any ideas??

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Viewing 6 replies - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I’d be more concerned with the files in the subdirectories actually. Why not just upload everything again after deleting what’s there. You don’t have anything to lose.

Do you know what PHP version and MySQL version you’re using?

MySQL version 5.0

PHP 5.x

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Those are both good. I don’t think it’s anything wrong with the database or server or GoDaddy.

It’s possible something didn’t upload properly. I’m going to hang it up for now. It’s pretty late in this timezone.

Thanks,

J

jeffreyw4, I have installed bbpress on a couple of godaddy hosting accounts and might be able to help you out. I am off work tomorrow but doing it on here will be a major pain in the rear. If you know how to use irc you can find me on freenode.net (msg me, same nickname on there) or email me jadams2259 (atgmaildotcom) and when I get up/get a chance I will walk you through it.

Hi,

Thanks for the help on this issue. I reloaded everything today, careful not to use the built in installer, but instead editing the config file directly. I’m not 100 percent sure what the problem was, but I think it started from an error in the name of the database host. ‘Localhost’ doesn’t work, and I confirmed that with previous database work I’ve done with Godaddy. So after inputting the correct hostname and double checking everything else it worked. Seems to be okay. (I’m just a little surprised at how sparse it is given the huge number of files uploaded to the server but that’s for another discussion!)

Anyway the problem appears to be resolved. Thanks again for the help!

Viewing 6 replies - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar