Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forums not showing up?

• Dan Griffiths
    Participant

@ghost1227

I’ve been trying to install bbPress on a clean installation of WP. The installation seems to go fine, but when I visit the forum page, only the title shows up. Is there something I’m missing?

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• raphaelsuzuki
    Participant

@raphaelsuzuki

Try saving your permalinks settings, then saving bbPress settings and see if it works.

Dan Griffiths
    Participant

@ghost1227

Tried it. No change. The page itself loads, so the issue isn’t likely with the permalinks. It just doesn’t show the forums (title shows though)

raphaelsuzuki
    Participant

@raphaelsuzuki

Are you associating it with a page? Try deleting this page permanently.

Dan Griffiths
    Participant

@ghost1227

No, I’m not associating it with a page. If I disable bbPress, the url becomes invalid.

Dan Griffiths
    Participant

@ghost1227

Here’s what I’m getting at the moment… http://ghost1227.com/support/

raphaelsuzuki
    Participant

@raphaelsuzuki

Your forum seems to be working correctly. Have added some forums and topics?

Dan Griffiths
    Participant

@ghost1227

Yes… there are two forums and a test topic. That’s the problem. It only loads the page title, no other content is loaded…

raphaelsuzuki
    Participant

@raphaelsuzuki

Ok.

In the forum page you created, try adding this shortcode: [bbp-forum-index]

It’s not the natural thing to do, but will force WordPress to display bbPress.

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

Try changing theme to TwentyEleven and see if bbPress still doesn’t work.

Dan Griffiths
    Participant

@ghost1227

If I switch to TwentyEleven, it works fine.

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

Ok, so your theme is doing something wonky.

Dan Griffiths
    Participant

@ghost1227

Kinda what I figured… but I don’t know enough about how bbPress works to even begin troubleshooting what would be weird on the theme level.

As OC2PS said, it’s definitely you there.

Unfortunately many themes out there filter the_content and do other weird (and not so correct) things that bbPress doesn’t/can’t take into account.

My recommendation would be to contact the theme author and alert him of the issues you are having.

Dan Griffiths
    Participant

@ghost1227

Already did, theme author isn’t supporting bbPress. I’m more than willing to do the work myself, if I knew what bbPress needed, problem is there doesn’t seem to be any documentation on what it actually does at that point in the codebase.

That sucks. If theme was done properly to begin with it wouldn’t have these issues – instead theme authors junk them up with function that change how the WordPress output is expected.

Depending on what theme you are using, sadly the best way is going to be to start going through you theme and temporarily commenting out functions that filter and/or change how the content outputs.

it’s not ideal but its just the way it goes when you are dealing with themes like this.

mariobca
    Participant

@mariobca

I had the exact same problem, and have found a solution that worked for my case:
    I have a custom theme running and the site.com/forums/ page was not listing the forums, even though I had created a couple sample forums and topics to make sure there was dummy data.

Thanks to Jared, it became quite apparent that the “the_content()” WordPress function was not properly generating the forum.

At first I tried disabling all the plugins, except bbpress, to see if perhaps a plugin was conflicting with the “the_content()” function; but no luck.

I then installed the TwentyTwelve theme, and switched to that, and voila, the forums were showing! Something was different in the TwentyTwelve theme that I didn’t have in my custom theme… and I narrowed it down:

SOLUTION: Make sure you have the “the_post()” function call BEFORE the “the_content()” function, in your page.php template file in your theme folder. Something in bbPress must be getting triggered by the “the_post()” function which ties into the “the_content()” function displaying the forums content properly. All subsequent pages also display properly.

Simply, ensure “the_post()” is called before “the_content()”. Did the trick for me! Good luck!

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar