Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forums Home URL

• The way that I have my wordpress directory setup is “mywebsite.com/forums”. That’s where I have wordpress installed. When I installed bbpress, I got “mywebsite.com/forums/forums” as the URL to the forums index.

Is there anyway to change this so that I can keep wordpress in the “mywebsite.com/forums” directory on my server and still make “mywebsite.com/forums” as the URL to the forums index?

I already have a wordpress theme installed in my home directory, so I thought it would be easier to manage the forums in its own admin control panel. That’s why I installed it in a different directory.

Something else that I was wondering though… in the case where bbpress is intalled alongside the main wordpress site (blog, news page, homepage, etc.), is it separately customizable? Can bbpress have its own theme?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

You really don’t want to do it this way. The whole point of bbPress is to have an easy way to integrate your forum software with your main WordPress install’s theme and userbase.

Thanks for the reply. I thought I read somewhere that bbpress can be integrated with another wordpress database as long as they are both under the same domain name. Oh well, I’ll just stick with a different bb program. This doesn’t seem worth the trouble.

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

I think you misunderstand. Just search for ‘bbpress’ in plugins. You should find bbPress 2.0 there, the brand new bbPress plugin. It’s a straight forward install and should work straight out of the box with your default 2010/2011 theme, or with minimal tweaks in any other theme.

I have been able to install it, no problem. I just wanted to keep my blog theme and to also build a new theme from the ground up for my forum. So two separate themes for the blog and the forum. That’s why I wanted to install bbpress as part of a second wordpress install in a different directory. This way I could set one active theme for the forums that would be independent of the blog’s theme.

Actually, I was able to accomplish this. My blog is installed in “mywebsite.com”. Then I also installed wordpress in “mywebsite.com/forums”. The problem with this method is that bbpress adds a “forums” base to the URL. So the forums index ends up being ” “mywebsite.com/forums/forums”. The solution was to create a new index page and make it the static home page in wordpress. The index page that I created was called “index”. So the home page/ index page of the forums ended up being “mywebsite.com/forums/index”, this is more presentable, and I was happy with that, but there was still a problem. When ever you would click on a forum in the index… the breadcrumbs at the top of the page would still show the “forums” base that bbpress adds to the directory. So if you visit a forum called “chat”, the breadcrumbs at the top of the forum would still read “index/forums/chat”. So I was able to solve the problem with the home page, but the “forums” base is still part of the actual directory, which ends up being a problem in this case.

Like you said though, I should just install the plugin as part of my blog, and that would eliminate these problems, except that then the forums would be constricted by the blog’s theme, and I really don’t want that.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Uncheck the box in forum settings that says: “Prefix your forum area with the Forum Base slug (Recommended)”

Thank you for the reply John, but I did try that already. Although it removed one of the slugs from the URL’s, it still appears in the forum directory.

I don’t appear to be able to share user profiles between my wordpress blog and my bbpress forums with my current setup either. I tried installing the bbpress integration tool. In the instructions it mentions that I need to point to the blog’s database in the bbpress admin panel, but I don’t have an option to get to the bbpress admin panel.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

If you are using bbPress 2.0, your users are already integrated with WordPress. I’m now a little confused about what you’re trying to do.

I am using bbpress 2.0, but when I try to login to the forums with user names that were created in the blog, it doesn’t work.

I have a folder named “forums” (mysite.com/forums/) in my directory that has wordpress installed in it. That’s where I have bbpress installed also. So “mysite.com/forums/” is the URL to my bbpress forums.

I have a blog on my site at “mysite.com”. WordPress is also installed in that directory (mysite.com/). So I have two wordpress installs. One in the “forums” folder and one in the root directory (mysite.com/).

One wordpress install is meant to manage and run the blog, the other wordpress install is meant to run and manage the forums.

I would need to do two things. I would need wordpress with bbpress to communicate with the database that the wordpress with blog uses so that the users are shared between the blog and the forums. I would also need the forums breadcrumb directory to be in this format: “Index/Forum Name/Topic Name”. For some reason, regardless of what I’ve tried so far, the breadcrumbs still show “Index/Forums/Forum Name/Topic Name”. The “Forums” link in the breadcrumbs doesn’t link to anything. Also, “Index” is a page that I created to be the main page for the forums. It lists the index of the categories and forums.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar