Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum subscriptions

• kiwi3685
    Participant

@kiwi3685

I wonder, have I misunderstood this new (2.5) feature.

I expected that once I am subscribed to a forum I would receive email notification of any new post or reply in that forum. But I haven’t received any (and yes, there were posts overnight to forums I have subscribed to)

Am I wrong? Is “subscription” different to “notification”?

If they are different, what is the design purpose of subscriptions?

I had assumed that the subscription feature would mean I could deactivate ‘bbPress Notify’ plugin, but it seems I still need it.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I wonder, have I misunderstood this new (2.5) feature.

No 🙂

I expected that once I am subscribed to a forum I would receive email notification of any new post or reply in that forum. But I haven’t received any (and yes, there were posts overnight to forums I have subscribed to)

Indeed you should receive an email containing something like “You are receiving this email because you subscribed to a forum.”

You will only get ‘New Topic’ emails, if you want replies you also have to subscribe to that specific topic.

I had assumed that the subscription feature would mean I could deactivate ‘bbPress Notify’ plugin, but it seems I still need it.

Essentially yes, you should no longer need to use the ‘bbPress Notify’ plugin

FreeWPress
    Participant

@freewpress

@kiwi3685 if you subscribe a forum and go in your profile page at subscriptions section, you see all forums wich u have subscribed?? Have a complete list of forums and topics subscribed??

Please you can see if it show?

Thanks for your patience..

kiwi3685
    Participant

@kiwi3685

@Stephen

You will only get ‘New Topic’ emails, if you want replies you also have to subscribe to that specific topic.

Aha, thanks. That was the bit of understanding I had missed. 🙂 Quite logical when you think about it though.

@freewpress

Have a complete list of forums and topics subscribed??

Yes I do. I had read your earlier question but realised you were, I think, discussing issues related to using child theme. I don’t use child themes, and for me the new feature works as described. Image attached to show:

Subscriptions page

FreeWPress
    Participant

@freewpress

Thanks for your feedback, i think isn’t child theme issue.. I have switched on basic wordpress theme and i have also… 🙁

FreeWPress
    Participant

@freewpress

@kiwi3685 i have news for this issue..

Can you subscribe a subforums? Issue seems with subforums and work for regular forums..

palmdoc
    Participant

@palmdoc

Hmm thanks for the headsup. Just tested subscription on a sub-forum and no, no email notification.

crazywhistlepig
    Participant

@crazywhistlepig

Akismet was the culprit for me. My test topics were called “Test 1,” “Test 2” etc and I guess it didn’t like that. I disabled the “Allow Akismet to actively prevent forum spam” option and Voila, notifications returned. Strangely, the topics still posted. Seems Akismet just keboshed the notifications. I also tested the subforum notifications and they worked also. I’ll post more if I find that other factors exist, but for right now looks like it works.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar