Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum Page does not have link to Login

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Your link takes you to a registration page

there are several ways to get a login.

You can use a sidebar and add the login widget

Step by step guide to setting up a bbPress forum – Part 1

or you can add a login to your menus

Layout and functionality – Examples you can use

or a modal login

Layout and functionality – Examples you can use

arminius
    Participant

@arminius

Thanks. But the other problem is on a mobile device (iPhone Safari), after I had logged in the past, going to the Forum link just says “You are already logged in”. But what I would expect it to do is bring up the forum. Thoughts on why this is happening?

Robin W

@robin-w

Thanks. But the other problem is

so is the first issue fixed, and how did you do it? or is this part of the same issue?

sounds like you are directing users to a [bbp-login] shortcode not a [bbp-forum-index].

arminius
    Participant

@arminius

On Forun link, I use [bbp-forum-index]
    On Forum Registration Link, I use [bbp-login]

Right now neither it working as expected. Right now I can’t even see a link for a New User under the Forum Registration. Their must be something I’m missing here as I would think this shouldn’t be so confusing. Thanks.

Robin W

@robin-w

yes it shouldn’t be so confusing !

so ignoring the safari for the moment.

If I click BBDT forum on the menu, and I being taken to a page in wordpress that you have set up or a link? IE how is that menu item set up?

arminius
    Participant

@arminius

BBDT Forum will bring you to enter username/password, but no link to new user registration. That page is using: [bbp-forum-index] and is one I setup in wordpress, no link. Does that answer your question? Also, do I need to have a page called Forum Registration using: [bbp-login] that seems redundant. When I initally started I used this link as a guide if that helps: https://codex.bbpress.org/step-by-step-guide-to-setting-up-a-bbpress-forum/

Robin W

@robin-w

Does that answer your question?

Yes thanks, but it was not the answer I was expecting !!

ok so

http://bodybuildingdietapp.com/forum/ is a page you have set up called ‘forum’ and has [bbp-forum-index] and nothing else in it – yes? I don’t see how this page is then going to a page called forum-login.

Are you manually setting up your menu, or are menu items automatically added?

And if you type in http://bodybuildingdietapp.com/forums/ you will go to the forums as I would expect you to. You could simply add this as a link into your menu and not worry !

arminius
    Participant

@arminius

I think I found an error in my menus and now corrected it. Now just using the page http://bodybuildingdietapp.com/forums/ yet a see no place to create a new user or login…

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so now we are back to my first response which gave you two ways to do it.

If you want it within the screen, then add this to your functions file

//add login to top of index
    function index_login () {
    if (!is_user_logged_in() ) {
    echo do_shortcode('[bbp-login]');
    }
    }
    add_action ('bbp_template_before_forums_index', 'index_login' ) ;

see

Functions files and child themes – explained !

for how to do this

arminius
    Participant

@arminius

I was able to drop that into my functions.php, but it did not change any of my pages. Do I need to map that code somehow to my page url to get it to work? I guess I’m confused on where and what change to expect.

Robin W

@robin-w

You have done it correctly and it works !

If you log out, you’ll see a login on your forum page. It doesn’t appear if you are logged in, as it is not needed then.

if you want register and lost pasword as well, then use

//add login to top of index
    function index_login () {
    if (!is_user_logged_in() ) {
    echo do_shortcode(‘[bbp-login]‘);
    echo do_shortcode(‘[bbp-register]‘);
    echo do_shortcode(‘[bbp-lost-pass]‘);

}
    }
    add_action (‘bbp_template_before_forums_index’, ‘index_login’ ) ;

arminius
    Participant

@arminius

thanks so much for the help.. The only other issue I can’t really explain is I’ve had over 80 users sign up in past 2 weeks, but only 1 has made a comment. I’m wondering if something about posting is not intuitive? Can you give insight if I’m missing something? http://bodybuildingdietapp.com/forums/

Robin W

@robin-w

no, all looks fine to me !

You always get a lot of lurkers on any website, who learn, but don’t post. They may well have subscribed to forums so they get updates

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar