Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum categories

Inactive

I’ve decided to go with bbPress for my new website because of my love for WordPress because of the relative ease of user integration and it’s light weight. I have everything nailed down except that I’d like to customize my installation to show categories like other forum software, i.e.:

Category

+Forum

+Forum

+Forum

Category

+Forum

+Forum

+Forum

You get the idea I’m sure. I’ve searched quite a bit and found only some posts from a year ago where this was brought up and supposedly this is in the trunk now. Has anyone managed to do this to a current stable installation or know how I could do it myself? It seems there used to be patches that did this for old revisions and I thought about playing with them to try to produce the desired effect on the current stable version. Has anyone else tried that?

I figure one option I _could_ use is trying out the current trunk (which I have almost up and running, got it installed but have an error that says it cannot find the uri) but I worry about stability.

I’d appreciate some tips and tricks if anyone has any. The lack of organization isn’t a deal breaker but it would be very nice. I don’t feel like waiting until version 1.0 which I know will be a long way off and I don’t want to try to cram together wordpress and another bloated beast of a forum like phpbb3.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I didn’t even know the trunk had categories.

In theory you could make a forum the category and just put other forums below it. Then use my Read Only Forums plugin to make the category forums impossible to post to.

I am not sure how categories work – would you be able to go into a category and see posts from all the sub-forums like a latest discussions list but limited to those few forums?

jasonistaken

@jasonistaken

It’s true! Trunk does :)

“would you be able to go into a category and see posts from all the sub-forums like a latest discussions list but limited to those few forums?”

Yes, as well as a listing of forums in that category.

Inactive

Here’s the thread that mentions categories in the trunk:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/categories-in-0901

And the old patch for 0.8

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/patch-categories-for-version-08/page/2

I installed revision 1588 but until I resolve the URI error I can’t even view any pages to see how the categories and per-user permissions are coming along. I realize that using a bleeding edge revision in a production environment isn’t a good idea but if it’s stable enough I don’t think my users would really care as long as it doesn’t randomly self destruct.

If there is a way to patch that functionality into the current release that would make my day, probably even my week.

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

I’m making a plugin to allow forums to be turned into categories.

Stay tuned!

Inactive

Fantastic! Can’t wait to see it Nightgunner :)

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

http://llamaslayers.net/daily-llama/541/tech/bbpress-forum-categories/

Here you go! I just finished it and submitted it for consideration for the bbPress plugin directory.

jasonistaken

@jasonistaken

You need to declare $forums_that_are_categories as a global within your two filter functions. Other than that, it works great.

Inactive

I’m a php noob. How could I declare that so I can make this work and try it out?

Inactive

Nevermind, saw the fix in the trac. Nice job Nightgunner :)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar