Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum attacked by spammers

• Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

I don´t know if they are spambots or human spammers, but they are registering at a rate of every day now. And creating senseless topics used ford mustangs and stuff.

They are normally registered on Gmail with emails like this:

c.am.e.ron.n.e.dic.iml.i.n.e.r@gmail.com

farl.eyd.a.rr.i.ck@gmail.com

I do not run Akismet, because it messes things up, but I do run the plugin Human Test. So they are getting past that. But since they are so very similiar in their postings, names and email adresses, I assume they are bots.

If I could manually accept all registered users before they could post, this would not happen. But what can I do to prevent them from spamming my forum. Whatever they are?

Viewing 18 replies - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)

• Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

I actually thought the first sentence of above post was directed at my previous comment. That BBPress would triumph in the end. Before handbags came into the picture.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

I actually thought the first sentence of above post was directed at my previous comment. That BBPress would triumph in the end. Before handbags came into the picture.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

No, Akismet is designed for blogs, not for forums. Which is why I don´t use it for my forum, but for my blog.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

No, Akismet is designed for blogs, not for forums. Which is why I don´t use it for my forum, but for my blog.

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

RamiuzNo, Akismet is designed for blogs, not for forums. Which is why I don´t use it for my forum, but for my blog.

No, Akismet was designed to catch SPAM, anything from comments (blog/site) to posts/thread on a forum (bbPress), they’re all the same! :)

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

RamiuzNo, Akismet is designed for blogs, not for forums. Which is why I don´t use it for my forum, but for my blog.

No, Akismet was designed to catch SPAM, anything from comments (blog/site) to posts/thread on a forum (bbPress), they’re all the same! :)

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

I’ve written a quick plugin for bbPress that allows you to skip akismet after x amount of posts.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

I’ve written a quick plugin for bbPress that allows you to skip akismet after x amount of posts.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

´No, Akismet was designed to catch SPAM, anything from comments (blog/site) to posts/thread on a forum (bbPress), they’re all the same! :)´

Are you here just to annoy me?

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

´No, Akismet was designed to catch SPAM, anything from comments (blog/site) to posts/thread on a forum (bbPress), they’re all the same! :)´

Are you here just to annoy me?

Over the last few weeks, I’ve experienced the same problem with spammers on one of the forums I’ve set up. Akismet hasn’t worked, no-spam-user hasn’t worked, recaptcha hasn’t worked. Anyone have any success blocking this new generation of spambots? (I love bbpress but seeing the same spam here is disheartening.)

Over the last few weeks, I’ve experienced the same problem with spammers on one of the forums I’ve set up. Akismet hasn’t worked, no-spam-user hasn’t worked, recaptcha hasn’t worked. Anyone have any success blocking this new generation of spambots? (I love bbpress but seeing the same spam here is disheartening.)

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Recaptcha worked for me. Despite how ugly it is.

I run Honey Pot + Nospamuser + recaptcha. Have not had any spambots registering since.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Recaptcha worked for me. Despite how ugly it is.

I run Honey Pot + Nospamuser + recaptcha. Have not had any spambots registering since.

cavenewt
    Participant

@cavenewt

I was using Human Test for 8 months on a standalone 1.0.2 forum and it worked fine for our small population (100 members). This week it suddenly stopped working and wouldn’t let anyone register.

I tried to post a comment over in the bbpress Plugin Browser forum in the Human Test section, but I can’t post any comments over there, for some reason, despite being logged in.

So I turned on Akismet which claimed it blocked 24 spams the first night, and counted 9 Hams. What the heck is Ham? And there appears to be no way to review the spams to check for false positives?

Plus, I got 60 new registrants in 8 hours, and Akismet appears to do nothing to mark the spammers. Their web site is kinda skimpy on bbpress details, though I have sent a message to Tech Support.

I don’t have an associated blog.

Will upgrading to bbpress 2 make the spam situation any better?

cavenewt
    Participant

@cavenewt

I was using Human Test for 8 months on a standalone 1.0.2 forum and it worked fine for our small population (100 members). This week it suddenly stopped working and wouldn’t let anyone register.

I tried to post a comment over in the bbpress Plugin Browser forum in the Human Test section, but I can’t post any comments over there, for some reason, despite being logged in.

So I turned on Akismet which claimed it blocked 24 spams the first night, and counted 9 Hams. What the heck is Ham? And there appears to be no way to review the spams to check for false positives?

Plus, I got 60 new registrants in 8 hours, and Akismet appears to do nothing to mark the spammers. Their web site is kinda skimpy on bbpress details, though I have sent a message to Tech Support.

I don’t have an associated blog.

Will upgrading to bbpress 2 make the spam situation any better?

Do you all know that spammer like to target website with these words (or similar)?

“Proudly powered by WordPress”

“Proudly powered by WordPress and BuddyPress”

“Proudly powered by bbPress.”

Just try this in google search: “inurl:/register/ Account Details Proudly powered by WordPress and BuddyPress” and see it for yourself. There’s lot of it.

Yes we’re so “proud” of it until our site is flooded with spammers.

So you may want to remove those words from your footer, etc. You may also want to change the /register/ (in BuddyPress) to something like /gimmeanaccount/.

My site was once flooded by spammers especially from China with the @126.com before I make those changes and I’m pretty amazed with the result.

Do you all know that spammer like to target website with these words (or similar)?

“Proudly powered by WordPress”

“Proudly powered by WordPress and BuddyPress”

“Proudly powered by bbPress.”

Just try this in google search: “inurl:/register/ Account Details Proudly powered by WordPress and BuddyPress” and see it for yourself. There’s lot of it.

Yes we’re so “proud” of it until our site is flooded with spammers.

So you may want to remove those words from your footer, etc. You may also want to change the /register/ (in BuddyPress) to something like /gimmeanaccount/.

My site was once flooded by spammers especially from China with the @126.com before I make those changes and I’m pretty amazed with the result.

Viewing 18 replies - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar