Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum attacked by spammers

• Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

I don´t know if they are spambots or human spammers, but they are registering at a rate of every day now. And creating senseless topics used ford mustangs and stuff.

They are normally registered on Gmail with emails like this:

c.am.e.ron.n.e.dic.iml.i.n.e.r@gmail.com

farl.eyd.a.rr.i.ck@gmail.com

I do not run Akismet, because it messes things up, but I do run the plugin Human Test. So they are getting past that. But since they are so very similiar in their postings, names and email adresses, I assume they are bots.

If I could manually accept all registered users before they could post, this would not happen. But what can I do to prevent them from spamming my forum. Whatever they are?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 68 total)

• Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Seriously, anyone? Is there some way I can get rid of these people who are especially interested in promoting the Ford 95 Explorer?

They must be bots…

They spam every day!!!

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Seriously, anyone? Is there some way I can get rid of these people who are especially interested in promoting the Ford 95 Explorer?

They must be bots…

They spam every day!!!

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

I´ve done some searching myself, and hopefully you guys can help me pick the best solution of these listed plugins:

bb-NoSpamUser

-https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/nospamuser/

Sounds good if these spammers IPs are included in the database

Project Honeypot

-https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/php4bb/

Same goes for this one. Which is more reliable for BBpress 1.02?

reCAPTCHA

-https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/recaptcha-bbpress/#post-3955

Ugly, but may work better than Human Test, any opinions?

Clickcha

-https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/clickcha/

Same goes for this one

Blocklist

-https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/blocklist/

Perhaps more labour intensive than necessary?

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

I´ve done some searching myself, and hopefully you guys can help me pick the best solution of these listed plugins:

bb-NoSpamUser

-https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/nospamuser/

Sounds good if these spammers IPs are included in the database

Project Honeypot

-https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/php4bb/

Same goes for this one. Which is more reliable for BBpress 1.02?

reCAPTCHA

-https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/recaptcha-bbpress/#post-3955

Ugly, but may work better than Human Test, any opinions?

Clickcha

-https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/clickcha/

Same goes for this one

Blocklist

-https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/blocklist/

Perhaps more labour intensive than necessary?

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

I would pick reCAPTCHA as you can use your google account with it.

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

I would pick reCAPTCHA as you can use your google account with it.

Hard Seat Sleeper
    Participant

@hseatsleeper

I have the same problem – all car related.

Realized I didn’t have Akismet turned on. This is what the plugin was designed for. I’ll keep an eye on the forum and see if this works, and report back.

Not sure why you are so reluctant to use it?

Hard Seat Sleeper
    Participant

@hseatsleeper

I have the same problem – all car related.

Realized I didn’t have Akismet turned on. This is what the plugin was designed for. I’ll keep an eye on the forum and see if this works, and report back.

Not sure why you are so reluctant to use it?

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Because Akismet messes the whole forum up.

I almost don´t remember why, but it kept real users from posting and registering and messed up post counts where there was no need for it, and more.

I installed bbnospamuser and thought it worked… because it said it caught several spammers in the statistics, untill today. Another idiot spammer advertising a Nissan.

I´m gonna install project honeypot too.

But the biggest flaw, and READ THIS NIGHTGUNNER, is that BBpress doesnt give me the IP of users, so I cant register these car spammers in the database.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Because Akismet messes the whole forum up.

I almost don´t remember why, but it kept real users from posting and registering and messed up post counts where there was no need for it, and more.

I installed bbnospamuser and thought it worked… because it said it caught several spammers in the statistics, untill today. Another idiot spammer advertising a Nissan.

I´m gonna install project honeypot too.

But the biggest flaw, and READ THIS NIGHTGUNNER, is that BBpress doesnt give me the IP of users, so I cant register these car spammers in the database.

TonyVitabile

@tonyvitabile

I’m having issues with spammers. There are tons of posts in the posts table in the database, but only the 4 I originally created are showing. And someone else, who seems to be a spammer, seems to have moderation rights in the forum.

I also have WordPress multisite installed and that’s giving me troubles too, but I wonder if this is all related? I’m thinking of blowing away bbpress, truncating all of the bbpress tables and starting again.

I’m going to be changing the admin passwords today. I want to query the user table for users with admin rights. How do I do that?

TonyVitabile

@tonyvitabile

I’m having issues with spammers. There are tons of posts in the posts table in the database, but only the 4 I originally created are showing. And someone else, who seems to be a spammer, seems to have moderation rights in the forum.

I also have WordPress multisite installed and that’s giving me troubles too, but I wonder if this is all related? I’m thinking of blowing away bbpress, truncating all of the bbpress tables and starting again.

I’m going to be changing the admin passwords today. I want to query the user table for users with admin rights. How do I do that?

Hard Seat Sleeper
    Participant

@hseatsleeper

Ramiuz –

I turned on Akismet last night, it caught all my car spammers and then some while I slept like a baby.

You realize that Akismet is actually run by WordPress, right? And that they are actively developing it? And that it connects to a shared database so that all spammers across the internet are flagged?

It shouldn’t “mess the whole forum up.” Try it again and if you’re having problems come back and I’ll help you. Akismet is the solution to your problem.

TonyVitabile –

Can’t you search users via the admin panel and see who is an admin?

If there are “tons of posts” but none showing, maybe they have been deleted already? By Akismet, perhaps?

Hard Seat Sleeper
    Participant

@hseatsleeper

Ramiuz –

I turned on Akismet last night, it caught all my car spammers and then some while I slept like a baby.

You realize that Akismet is actually run by WordPress, right? And that they are actively developing it? And that it connects to a shared database so that all spammers across the internet are flagged?

It shouldn’t “mess the whole forum up.” Try it again and if you’re having problems come back and I’ll help you. Akismet is the solution to your problem.

TonyVitabile –

Can’t you search users via the admin panel and see who is an admin?

If there are “tons of posts” but none showing, maybe they have been deleted already? By Akismet, perhaps?

TonyVitabile

@tonyvitabile

Hard Seat Sleeper:

I went to the bbPress admin panel & there’s 1 admin, a friend of mine that helped me set up the site & I made him an admin a year ago. The admin ID & my ID are the only Key Masters. There’s one moderator, again someone I set up as a moderator. Everyone else is a member or inactive.

I checked off the “Bozos only” button & filtered & there are 607 bozos. Is there an easy way to block all of the bozos or do I have to block them one by one? Or should I not bother?

And there were 37 posts in the posts table that were spam, for things like insurance & imaging jobs in Miami. I deleted those posts from the database control panel.

Question: Is the “bozo” attribute set by Akismet? And does Akismet add entries to the “Recently moderated” list on the dashboard?

I’ve changed the admin password & my password. I’m having my friend change his password. Hopefully, that will stop anyone from gaining access to admin rights.

My site has almost 1200 users & 607 of them are bozos. That’s depressing.

Tony

TonyVitabile

@tonyvitabile

Hard Seat Sleeper:

I went to the bbPress admin panel & there’s 1 admin, a friend of mine that helped me set up the site & I made him an admin a year ago. The admin ID & my ID are the only Key Masters. There’s one moderator, again someone I set up as a moderator. Everyone else is a member or inactive.

I checked off the “Bozos only” button & filtered & there are 607 bozos. Is there an easy way to block all of the bozos or do I have to block them one by one? Or should I not bother?

And there were 37 posts in the posts table that were spam, for things like insurance & imaging jobs in Miami. I deleted those posts from the database control panel.

Question: Is the “bozo” attribute set by Akismet? And does Akismet add entries to the “Recently moderated” list on the dashboard?

I’ve changed the admin password & my password. I’m having my friend change his password. Hopefully, that will stop anyone from gaining access to admin rights.

My site has almost 1200 users & 607 of them are bozos. That’s depressing.

Tony

packzap
    Participant

@packzap

I’m getting the same kind of spam from those same bogus gmail addresses. And they are using random forged ip addresses. I guess I’ll try Akismet or Captcha and see what happens on my 0.9.0.6 board.

packzap
    Participant

@packzap

I’m getting the same kind of spam from those same bogus gmail addresses. And they are using random forged ip addresses. I guess I’ll try Akismet or Captcha and see what happens on my 0.9.0.6 board.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Hard Seat Sleepers theres always people like you who have to tell me Akismet should be fine. It was back when I tried it the first time too. They had a hard time believing what happened, untill loads of members gave the same testimony.

Fact is, it treated normal users as spam/spammers. And Akismet for BBpress does not allow you to see what the spam IS. It just tells you that it has deleted this and that. Then suddenly three good members stop posting, because their efforts are thrown in the trash. And then your whole forum goes under.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Hard Seat Sleepers theres always people like you who have to tell me Akismet should be fine. It was back when I tried it the first time too. They had a hard time believing what happened, untill loads of members gave the same testimony.

Fact is, it treated normal users as spam/spammers. And Akismet for BBpress does not allow you to see what the spam IS. It just tells you that it has deleted this and that. Then suddenly three good members stop posting, because their efforts are thrown in the trash. And then your whole forum goes under.

I have the same problem. I tried Human Test and bb-NoSpamUser and they didn’t work properly. I don’t want to try Akisment because it makes to many faults and blocks real users.

I just installed reCaptcha. I’ll let you know if it works.

I have the same problem. I tried Human Test and bb-NoSpamUser and they didn’t work properly. I don’t want to try Akisment because it makes to many faults and blocks real users.

I just installed reCaptcha. I’ll let you know if it works.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Please do.

I´m gonna try honey pot tonight.

But SINCE I CAN NOT SEE PEOPLES IP ADRESSES IN BB PRESS. I CAN NOT SUBMIT THEM TO SPAMBOT REGISTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://balancesheet.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/islamic_rage_boy.jpg?w=500

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Please do.

I´m gonna try honey pot tonight.

But SINCE I CAN NOT SEE PEOPLES IP ADRESSES IN BB PRESS. I CAN NOT SUBMIT THEM TO SPAMBOT REGISTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://balancesheet.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/islamic_rage_boy.jpg?w=500

packzap
    Participant

@packzap

I installed the reCAPTCHA plugin (noted above) and it seems to have nipped the problem spam in the bud. Previously, CK’s “Human test for bbPress” plugin had been doing the trick on my board. However, with this more aggressive & annoying automated bot spam, it was guessing the equation and then getting in the door.

I’m not overly happy about having to install captcha software, because it’s difficult to make out the characters sometimes and I feel it’s an impediment to quick and easy registration for people. Nevertheless, something that stops the hoser spammers is appreciated and reCAPTCHA appears to have succeeded (for the time being).

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar