Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

First poster / thread started by…

• In forum.php and front-page.php, the latest poster for each topic is identified. Is it possible to also identify the first poster– ie the person who started the thread and perhaps also when the thread was started? After sifting through code for several hours, I’m not sure if I’m overlooking something, or if I simply cannot find something that is not there. Thanks.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

On this forum “Started 5 hours ago by jabberwock” appears. So, there are functions to do what you want to do. Maybe it’s just not in the theme you’re using. This is in my topic.php:

<li><?php printf(__('Started %1$s ago by %2$s'), get_topic_start_time(), get_topic_author()) ?></li>

Those are your functions. The get_topic_start_time returns a time elapsed sort of thing (i.e. “5 days ago”) rather than a date. There is probably a function to return the topic start date instead of time elapsed as well. Maybe it’s topic_time or get_topic_time or topic_start_time. All the functions are pretty reasonably named.

Thanks for the response. You were exactly right: the theme that I’m modifying simply didn’t make use of those functions. Can’t find something that’s not there.

get_topic_author was exactly what I was looking for and it’s right there in the default theme. I should have known to look there.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. It is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar