Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Finally! bbpress/wordpress integration!

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

If you are not already logged in to the forum when you come from being logged in to WordPress, the integration is not complete. Try this:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/wp-integration-coockie-does-not-work#post-61969

gofastbargains

@gofastbargains

we actually followed that guideline word for word, lol. I guess we have to go back and redo it. thanks!

Yes, same here and same result – and I redid it over again with no satisfaction.

A couple of things to note.

When you create the bbpress sub-folder within the wordpress folder, one needs to make the bbpress (or forum, etc.) folder writable so that the install can write the bb-config.php file.

I also note that the install (v. 1.02) created the no-longer-used folders my-plugins and my-templates, which I believe is a remnant from older versions, with apache permissions – meaning that I’ll need to telnet in and remove these from the command-line – something that the average wordpress user would like to avoid.

In looking around at what’s going on with BBPress and WordPress integration; my comment is that I primarily deploy WordPress as a CMS solution so my vote is for integration as a short code plug-in for WordPress. I also see the need for BBPress as a stand alone application – perhaps a fork in the road is the best solution?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I believe those my- folders are still needed. What makes you think they’re not?

1.0.2 was creating the folders with the wrong permissions, 0750, instead of 0755, but that bug was fixed I believe, just not packaged and released yet. https://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/1139

I spent a whole day today reading the documentation/forums/blog posts on integrating bbpress with wordpress and didn’t achieved much yet. No deep integration, just the basic database/cookies sharing, but I’m stuck at finding a good tutorial/explanation on how to export my existing wordpress theme’s header and footer into bbpress. Any suggestions?

And I’m really disappointed that the themes that used to be neatly presented here are now gone.

@ gofastbargains: What is the bbpress theme you used for your project? Perhaps you can provide the link too.

gofastbargains

@gofastbargains

we actually did it manually, cutting and paste from wp-header to bb-header, it was rather intensive work, and you have to know css, it was a good thing my bro is a css pro. simply copy and paste did not make it work, he had to realign and figure out the original wp theme and past in the correct line in the bb theme. if you look at… http://gofastbargains.com/ and open another tab and open http://gofastbargains.com/Forum/ . you’ll see they do not match up perfectly. We’ll fix it eventually, but it was about 6 hours of work, installing, integrating, and theme matching.

> chris – perhaps because it also has the folders bb-plugins and bb-templates (uploaded via FTP) and that’s where the stock plug-ins and templates were? Also, if they are my folders, why would they be set with permissions that preclude me doing anything with them via FTP?

do you have the right chmod on the files and folders?

Someone brought up it that their host was using php4 and it should be php5. It caused you to log out when switching from WP->BB or BB->WP.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

@petroski. Those my-templates and my-plugins folders are needed, it’s where you put your templates and your plugins (not the ones included with bbPress.) As I mentioned, they are being created with incorrect permissions and that issue has been resolved in ticket #1139.

They didn’t used to get created on installation, you had to create them yourself. Then they were being created but with the wrong permissions (0750 by default.) Now, after ticket #1139 is resolved the directories will be created with 0755 permissions. You need them if you want to install any plugins or use your own template.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

@lionbeat, there were never any themes neatly presented here as far as I know. There is a plugin repository here but the themes were always scattered all over the place. For a while, _ck_ maintained the bbshowcase.org and there was a theme directory there. Nothing official though, and now even that is gone.

@ gerikg – so, I’m using PHP4.x on my server and you are saying that I need PHP 5.x to stay logged in going from WP to BB or vice versa?

PHP 5.x is a requirement for integration?

@ gofastbargains, thanks, I was actually thinking I could call the wp theme header somehow from bbpress, but I guess I can try to replicate the existing wp theme’s css into the bbpress header too, I found some nice blank templates I’m gonna try using.

@chrishajer, thank you, yes probably that was the bbshowcase I’m referring too. I hope there’s a future for bbpress either as a wp plugin or standalone. And regarding the my-templates and my-plugins folders, I don’t mind having them, but I didn’t use them either, I place the themes into bb-templates and it works fine, haven’t tried any plugins yet.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar