Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Errors in bbPress – seen on the Official forums

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/negative-minus-topics

Just need to do an admin recount.

@gerikg

Thanks for the link!

Why there is a need for recount? Why would the counts go out of sync at the first place? :/

That I can’t answer, but some one will right?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Why there is a need for recount? Why would the counts go out of sync at the first place? :/

Cause bbPress uses a cache system in order to minimize database queries and sometimes it goes out of synch.

@zaerl

sometimes? thats my concern. Either it will have some delay for the fresh data to display because of cache or it will just show the exact details without cache.

What’s the point of screwing up the values sometimes?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Just recount when you delete a lot of topics. Not a big deal. I do this every week (just in case.)

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

@zaerl: “Cause bbPress uses a cache system in order to minimize database queries and sometimes it goes out of synch.”

Really? Where do you see evidence of this in action?

I think the problem with the negative counts here is a bug.

I think the problem with the incorrect voices/posts is probably a bug.

I think the need for recounting is because sometimes plugins don’t work cleanly when moving or deleting posts or topics or users. Maybe when you delete a topic that has posts the counts are not recounted or recounted properly. I think bozo and Akismet probably figure into it.

I think the need for recounting is almost always because some code did not account for changing the count somewhere.

In a perfect world, there would be no need for recounting functions. But as we all know, software is not a perfect world, so recounting helps clean things up. But I don’t think it has anything at all to do with caching. I’d love to see that I am wrong about this.

AFAIK, there is no bb-cron equivalent of wp-cron, which seems like it would be a perfect place for cleaning up cached information, if it existed. Where is this cache of information? I thought the topic count, post count, voices, post count, etc, we all stored in the database. No caching involved (other that whatever is built in to MySQL.)

Anyone know any different?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

As a moderator here, I don’t have access to the recount functions to reset things, and don’t have access to MySQL to see the data that’s being stored for counts, last poster, etc.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Really?

Yes. Really.

Where do you see evidence of this in action?

In one in one of my forums. Wrong number of posts associated with a wrong number of discussions per user. It seems that it happens in a regular basis after a deletion of a long list of users. But I use a cron job each week so not a big deal. I have not investigated about the plugin that cause this mess.

I totally agree with Chris on this.

Thanks Chris for explaining!

@zaerl

Did you file a bug on Trac? Recounting functions are there for use in case counts go out of sync and not to be used regularly because bbPress shouldn’t mess up with counts by its own functions.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Nah. I’m lazy. Ok I’m joking. It’s an hard to reproduce error cause I use ~15 plugins and 8 are written by me and (urgh) 4 are not released to public.

Maybe I am the source of my “problems.” Eh eh eh.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I still don’t believe there is any truth to the existence of a cache. Does anyone have proof of this?

I believe deleting either users or posts or topics, by whatever process, does not properly reset the last poster, number of voices, number of posts, number of replies, etc. Which is why I think this is related to either bugs or not fully developed or poorly performing plugins.

The functions exist, as ashfame explained, to fix problems. It should not happen on a regular basis.

From the “recount” page of the 1.1-alpha admin:

To minimize database queries, bbPress keeps it’s own count of various items like posts in each topic and topics in each forum.

If the plugin or even built-in functionality does not accurately update the count, then you need these recount functions. If the code were perfect (core and plugins) then these functions would need never be used.

Exactly!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar