Categories
Search
Bottom

ERROR: Your topic cannot be empty.

• plasterius
    Participant

@plasterius

Hello,

I started using bbpress for our organisation but i noticed that it’s not possible to post new topics or replies from the front end of the site without bbpress showing the ERROR: Your topic cannot be empty warning.

The topic title stays intact but the message field get’s deleted and users can’t post anything.

On the other hand, admins can freely post via backend and the topics are then visible…could someone please try to help me resolve this issue?

thank you.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

• plasterius
    Participant

@plasterius

Could anyone please help me out on this?

I have seen a couple of people mention this… That said most find that the problem is fixed with bbPress 2.3. Can you download bbPress 2.3 RC1 from here and test again, hopefully the issue is fixed for you.

plasterius
    Participant

@plasterius

Stephen, i’ll give it a try and let you know.

plasterius
    Participant

@plasterius

Well, the problem now is that i don’t see any forums, just the main category. I’m quite confused by this.

Can you post a link to your site and I’ll take a look.

plasterius
    Participant

@plasterius

This definately looks like an issue with your theme.

Try using WordPress Twenty Eleven to ensure bbPRess works as designed and then contact the theme author to see if they can give you some tips on getting the theme to support bbPress.

In the meantime create a WordPress page called ‘forums’ (or ‘forumi’) and add the bbPress ‘shortcode‘ `[bbp-forum-index]` to this page and this should get you going.

plasterius
    Participant

@plasterius

Activated Twenty Eleven but the forum is not showing again. Everything “worked” on this theme as far as visibility is in question untill 2.3.

Can you activate 2011 again for five minutes and I will have a look.

plasterius
    Participant

@plasterius

done. best of luck 🙂

Hmmm… That looks atrange to say the least….

What other plugins are you running?

Do you have any forums or topics alreay that you can share the link to?

Currently I expect to see at the bare minimum an error message and ‘other stuff’ at http://www.solidarna-pula.com/forums/ & http://www.solidarna-pula.com/topics

plasterius
    Participant

@plasterius

currently on

Advanced Custom Fields
    Dashboard Forum Activity
    Revolution Slider
    Skin Login
    Spam Destroyer
    WPBakery Visual Composer

off
    bbP Members Only
    Better WP Security

maybe i missed one of the files while downloading. could that cause the forum not to display?

For starters try disabling ‘Better WP Security’ as per these two posts as it appears to cause some issues.

404's for non-admins

404's for non-admins

If no luck disable all your other plugins and have a look at your site. If it works re-enable each plugin one by one and check the site again to see what plugins are conflicting with bbPress.

plasterius
    Participant

@plasterius

I gave another look at the install folder and found out that i was missed a couple of files while downloading BUT the ERROR: Your topic cannot be empty still remains if i try to post something via frontend.

Check your plugins as per my previous post…

But alas I am out now for the night and if you have any more queries I’ll take a look tomorrow. 🙂

plasterius
    Participant

@plasterius

Okay, i disabled all of them again and now it works! Heh, this is really funny because a moment ago it didn’t work with the same setting.

Thanks Stephen, in case the issue persist i’ll give a shout here.

plasterius
    Participant

@plasterius

To my knowledge Spam Destroyer is causing the error. Atleast in my question.

Glad you found what was causing the problems for you.

plasterius
    Participant

@plasterius

Thanks for the guidance Stephen.

Ryan Hellyer
    Participant

@ryanhellyer

The current version of the Spam Destroyer plugin is not compatible with bbPress. I have prepared a beta version which seems to work well though. It doesn’t stop huge amounts of spam but I’m using it myself and it seems to be blocking about 99% of it.

http://geek.ryanhellyer.net/products/spam-destroyer/

Virtualtopia
    Participant

@virtualtopia

Thanks heaps guys. That solved my problem too.

everykid
    Participant

@everykid

I had same issue and same error message for users. Problem is that the formatting of the border of the topic descriptor box under the topic name doesn’t show up and the box doesn’t have a name. Users don’t realize that there is a box there that they need to put something in in order not to get this message and to be able to create a topic. Seems odd that the designers wouldn’t give box a name and make it clear that something has to go in there.

Now my challenge is to try to figure out how to give the box a name eg. Topic description (must include) and a border that shows up.

I try hard to stay away from CSS etc so if anyone can help me to do the above it would be much appreciated.

Virtualtopia
    Participant

@virtualtopia

@ everykid

I had that problem initially, but got around it by making that field a WYSIWYG editor (same as making blog post) and then it became obvious not to mention familiar for users who expect a toolbar and some formatting options. I had a look through my plugin list and cannot see a plugin that helped me achieve this. So I must have put in some code somewhere. If you are interested, I could locate that code and advise.

everykid
    Participant

@everykid

Started by disabling all pludgins…no change

Dumb luck…I went into Settings: Format and unchecked “Add Toolbars and buttons to text area to help with HTML formatting”
    Now I can see a border around the box intended for entering descriptor of the box. …a step toward solving this.

I don’t care if users have toolbar or formatting for this box but I expect I will for other boxes so still would like a fix.

I believe the change has to be in file bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/form-topic.php.

I am totally uncomfortable at messing around much at this level but think I need to edit this file and add some code to add a box title like “Topic Description (manditory)”

below I include the part of that original file from bbpress where it would need to be but not sure what it should look like or where to put it. I expect this is a simple thing for someone who knows what they are doing but for me…not so much! The actual code and where to copy and paste it would save me hours of trial and error. (if some code could also be added to allow the rechecking of the ‘Post Formtting’ box without loosing the border that would be a real bonus.)

From file form-topic.php

div>

<?php bbp_get_template_part( ‘form’, ‘anonymous’ ); ?>

<?php do_action( ‘bbp_theme_before_topic_form_title’ ); ?>

<p>
    <label for=”bbp_topic_title”><?php printf( __( ‘Topic Title (Maximum Length: %d):’, ‘bbpress’ ), bbp_get_title_max_length() ); ?></label><br />
    <input type=”text” id=”bbp_topic_title” value=”<?php bbp_form_topic_title(); ?>” tabindex=”<?php bbp_tab_index(); ?>” size=”40″ name=”bbp_topic_title” maxlength=”<?php bbp_title_max_length(); ?>” />
    </p>

<?php do_action( ‘bbp_theme_after_topic_form_title’ ); ?>

<?php do_action( ‘bbp_theme_before_topic_form_content’ ); ?>

<?php bbp_the_content( array( ‘context’ => ‘topic’ ) ); ?>

<?php do_action( ‘bbp_theme_after_topic_form_content’ ); ?>

<?php if ( ! ( bbp_use_wp_editor() || current_user_can( ‘unfiltered_html’ ) ) ) : ?>

<p class=”form-allowed-tags”>
    <label><?php _e( ‘You may use these <abbr title=”HyperText Markup Language”>HTML</abbr> tags and attributes:’,’bbpress’ ); ?></label><br />
    <?php bbp_allowed_tags(); ?>
    </p>

<?php endif; ?>

<?php if ( bbp_allow_topic_tags() && current_user_can( ‘assign_topic_tags’ ) ) : ?>

<?php do_action( ‘bbp_theme_before_topic_form_tags’ ); ?>

<p>
    <label for=”bbp_topic_tags”><?php _e( ‘Topic Tags:’, ‘bbpress’ ); ?></label><br />
    <input type=”text” value=”<?php bbp_form_topic_tags(); ?>” tabindex=”<?php bbp_tab_index(); ?>” size=”40″ name=”bbp_topic_tags” id=”bbp_topic_tags” <?php disabled( bbp_is_topic_spam() ); ?> />
    </p>

<?php do_action( ‘bbp_theme_after_topic_form_tags’ ); ?>

<?php endif; ?>

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar