Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Email masked

• Hi, I’m just wondering is there any plugin that can protect user’s email address? Because I’m thinking to develop a bbpress into a category information site, like craigslist. But it would be great if user can use a email system rather than post them on the page.

If you know the email protection in craigslist, you probably know what I meant. Any ideas~~~?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• kevinator

@kevinator

Similar request here: by default, anyone on any bbPress forum can click on anyone else’s profile and see their email address. Big privacy/security issue. How can you hide/mask all user’s email addresses?

johnhiler

@johnhiler

I thought that emails were only visible to admins. Can you still see them when you sign out?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Email addresses are not viewable by regular members. Admins can’t even see them. Maybe just keymasters. Same with the IP address. Visible to keymasters only.

kevinator

@kevinator

OK, more info: we’re completely integrated with WordPress. Our username for login is the user’s email address. Even when a visitor is not logged in, they can click on another user’s profile and view that user’s email address. Problem.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

This is your problem then:

Our username for login is the user’s email address.

If you are using email addresses as logins, those are visible. This has nothing to do with being logged in. I would not recommend using an email address as a login. Even if you’re going to use something like the display name.

kevinator

@kevinator

Looks like we’ll have to figure out a workaround then. Email address is our users’ single login for our web site, forums, crm, etc. No getting around it. Wasn’t an issue with phpBB, even though any visitor could get any email address by right-clicking on the “email” button and then doing “copy link address”.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I think if you used Display Name and always required it, you would not have to show the email. Not sure where else that would be used.

johnhiler

@johnhiler

The tricky part is that the username is usually in the profile url… like here:

https://bbpress.org/forums/profile/johnhiler

So even if you required Display Names, the email might be visible in the profile URL.

But I’ve seen where you can make the profile URL use numbers instead:

https://bbpress.org/forums/profile/150000

Maybe that’d be doable as a workaround?

Ashish Kumar (Ashfame)
    Participant

@ashfame

yeah use display names, where can one see email address?

Or am I missing something here?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I think if you didn’t use pretty or name based permalinks it would not be visible in the profile URL either.

Also, the permalink would be an edited version, so much so that it might not look like an email address? I am going to register one here now and see what happens.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I think if you didn’t use pretty or name based permalinks you wouldn’t have to worry about the email in the profile either. And if you were using prettyy permalinks, the email would be cleaned up to the point that maybe it doesn’t really look like an email?

I am going to create a new account here and see what happens to the email address as my username.

Chris Hajer

@chrishajergmailcom

This is no good if you’re trying to hide the email address:

https://bbpress.org/forums/profile/chrishajergmailcom

Shows a display name (Chris Hajer) and next to it, in parenthesis, my username which is my email address. So even though I selected a display name, the email address is still displayed in my profile, and in the profile link, if you think about what characters were stripped out.

kevinator

@kevinator

OK, we fixed it. I’ll find out details and post later. See how it looks here: http://www.cwnp.com/forums

Our purpose in doing it is twofold:

1. privacy/security, obvious reasons

2. we just implemented the Leaderboard plugin found on bbpress.org so we can have a participation contest. Leaderboard by default shows username, which in our case is email.

Bottom line is we also require “nickname”, so we’ve used that instead.

Now, anyone know how to make Leaderboard a widget?

Richard Leigh

@richard-leigh

Hi devs.

bbpress looks great on our new site, great work getting us an integrated forum. But major problem is what others have described here: the login to our site is what gets displayed.

I notice that this thread hasn’t had a posting for about a year, so I’m just wondering if there are any answers in new versions.

I’m a bit out of my depth with some of the technicalities because this was set up for us, but is there an easy fix?

Thanks

Richard

J
    Participant

@paradox_designs

It is 3 years later and I am having the same issue. My entire wordpress system is set up with emails as the usernames.

You mentioned you found a workaround or figured it out. how did you do it?

The bbpress user profiles show the email address in the url and I was trying to get bbpress to use something else like display name or nickname instead.

Is there a way to do it?

Thanks

Xevo
    Participant

@xevo

The topic is about something unrelated than what you posted, please make a new topic since this one is outdated.

J
    Participant

@paradox_designs

I did make a new topic 3 weeks ago and it got zero replies: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/user-profile-url-uses-the-username-can-that-be-changed/

I am really stuck…

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar