Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Do you use WordPress Deep Integration? could you answer two questions please?

• kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Howdy,

I’m after some feedback folks, and I’d really apprecaite anyone who could spare some time to jot me down some quick answers:

• If you use Deep Integration for a bbP/WP install, could you please list the reasons why?

• What data, if any, do you pull into your forum via a WordPress function?

• What WordPress plugins are displayed on your forum?

Any and all data from any level of bbPress user would be really really helpful.

Thank you,

Kev

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • I use deep integration for WP themes that have their own option. When you change something in the option bbPress follows.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Thats excellent Gerikg, thanks.

I hadn’t thought of that. I supose I don’t have much experience of using a WordPress theme that has it’s own bolt-on framework (such as Thesis or Woo Themes) but they are popular.

I’ll add it to the list.

The alternative is pixepoint, i don’t know if you want to test that.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Ryan’s plugin is nice, very nice indeed.

It works in the same way as my hack/plugin for WP2.3 bbP0.8 in that it outputs a hardcoded file (obviously Ryan’s code it a heck of a lot better, and more up to date). Whats not great for me is that (the last time I checked) it attempts to output a hardcoded file once every hour, so any changes you make take 60 mins to appear on the bbpress site. You can lower that time ofcourse, but in that instance you’re going to struggle with things like SEO etc.

Greg
    Participant

@rebootnow

My reasons for deep integration generally fall into two categories:

A: niggly issues like the fact that I couldn’t get WP and BBP to share the same nonce value for safe logout. These all magically go away with deep integration (e.g. I now only use WP’s login/logout functions).

B: it is much easier to create a custom user experience that crosses from blog to forum. My biggest example here is a site wide reputation system. So I need to display display profile pictures, badges and levels alongside forum posts and blog comments in the exact same way. I could do this without deep integration but then I would need to duplicate some functionality across WP and BBP plugins (e.g. writing a function on the bbPress side to get the avatar location).

I think at its core deep integration is about a trade off between [raw performance + server cost] on the one hand and [dev cost + ttm + maintainability] on the other.

So to your second question… the data I pull across is mainly user metadata as I described above.

And regarding plugins… very few plugins that aren’t custom.

One other thing: the deep integration we’re talking about is one way. I also integrate the other way (e.g. showing forum posts on blog pages) and this is done without deep integration. That is, I have created functions on the WP side to query the db for forum data.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Really helpful “Reboot Now”, thanks alot.

Your first issue about the nonce value, I’ve never had it on any normal/shallow integration since I started specifying the all the keys in my config file. Yes it’s double handling but it’s made a huge difference.

the bb-config file asks for this info:

define( 'BB_AUTH_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here' );
    define( 'BB_SECURE_AUTH_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here' );
    define( 'BB_LOGGED_IN_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here' );
    define( 'BB_NONCE_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here' );

The bb-config file tells you to get it form this location: https://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/bbpress/ . But really what you should have in the bbPress config file should be from the wordpress salt generator https://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/salt/

I make sure I have an exact copy of my WordPress keys and a copy of my wordpress keys with “BB_” infront of them – and bam, that little issue went teh way of the dodo.

define('AUTH_KEY',         '1');
    define('SECURE_AUTH_KEY', '2');
    define('LOGGED_IN_KEY', '3');
    define('NONCE_KEY', '4');
    define('AUTH_SALT', '5');
    define('SECURE_AUTH_SALT', '6');
    define('LOGGED_IN_SALT', '7');
    define('NONCE_SALT', '8');

define('BB_AUTH_KEY', '1');
    define('BB_SECURE_AUTH_KEY', '2');
    define('BB_LOGGED_IN_KEY', '3');
    define('BB_NONCE_KEY', '4');
    define('BB_AUTH_SALT', '5');
    define('BB_SECURE_AUTH_SALT', '6');
    define('BB_LOGGED_IN_SALT', '7');
    define('BB_NONCE_SALT', '8');

FYI incase anyone new to bbPress is reading this: If I do a clean bbPress install I strongly strongly advise using https://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/salt/bbpress/ instead which returns 8 lines (we get salts too) which WordPress has needed for 2 years.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Can i just add that i LOVE that linking to WordPress.org makes me a spammer.

I’ll go read this again while I wait: http://ma.tt/2009/08/kill-your-community/

Treat Everyone the Same.

If I’ve left hundreds of great comments over many years on your site, please make me wait in the moderation queue like some random stranger off Digg. Don’t let anyone know I’m a regular, or talk to me, or invite me to test out beta stuff, or pretty much anything that acknowledges my existence or shows any degree of trust.

Greg
    Participant

@rebootnow

Hmmm, I have always specified the keys in my config files. When I’ve got a moment I will see whether the nonce thing is still an issue.

BTW, here is the BuddyPress thread where Andy confirmed that I needed deep integration. Of course, this may be outdated by now.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar