Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Display name restriction

• zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Hi there, I wonder if there is a way to prevent users from choosing display names that are login names of existing users. I mean, for example, that I would like to forbid users to choose “admin” as display name in order to avoid confusion and/or potential annoying situations.

I can’t find the desired option on the admin screen as well as I can’t find a useful filter on defaults.bb-filters.php.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• deadlyhifi
    Participant

@tomdebruin

I was having this problem on my forum so I took out the display name feature.

See https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/help-with-basic-command-to-add-new-profile-fields#post-65468

And delete 'display_name' => array(1, __('Display name as')),

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Hi Tom, thank for your answer. Unfortunately I cannot took out the display name feature because my mother language isn’t english and in my idiom it’s impossible to write significant portion of text without using characters outside the ASCII base and as far as I know unicode characters can’t be used in login names.

Anyway I think that I will hack the core even if I know that this isn’t a good thing. I think that I will add an extra check in $wp_users_object->update_user() which in turn call _put_user.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar