Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Display bbpress on wordpress page (inside the blog)

• Hey,

i just found this great forum and integrated it in my wordpress, with help from the video guide.

I have succesfully set up all cookie stuff, and now i want to display my forum wich is located on mywebsite.com/forum/ in my wordpress blog page. Like on this website.

Can anyone tell me how to do it? I didn’t find informations about.

greetings

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • That would be because it’s a duplication of the theme, and not ‘deep’ integration.

Integration into a existing wordpress theme, is just what evryone wants .. So, why the developers dont listen to the people who uses this software, beats me! ;)

Its just on of the main raisons i dont install bbPress anymore, no at all integration with the theme stuff ;)

Except it’s not what ‘everyone’ wants :)

People who want an integrated forum/blog may want that, but then it’s a whole new measure of pain when one half upgrades. And they’re getting there (with things like BuddyPress), but bbPress is a forum. That’s it. It happens to integrate with WP, but that’s not all it is.

is deep intergration possible on alpha,… yeahs or no?

An easy way to integrate is to use iframes in your wp pages to load bbpress content. Might not be suitable for many things but is quick and simple to do

@adeboy

i’d rather sit on a hedgehog than do that.

seriously guys, deep intergration is probably the most essential feature an “intergratable forum” has to have.

All this talk about…. well… Not everyone wants it.. is utter garbage.

@swaymedia, ouch! :)

Ipstenu is right, it would be a world of pain with upgrades, they need to stay apart. The profile integration is great and if you work on it a user would never know where WP ends and BBPress starts. Check out http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/, best example i’ve seen

seriously guys, deep intergration is probably the most essential feature an “intergratable forum” has to have.

All this talk about…. well… Not everyone wants it.. is utter garbage.

Wow. Harsh. So my not wanting it means I’m garbage or my site is garbage? Nah, I know you don’t mean I’m crap, no worries, but really think about what you just said.

I agree that SOME people want deep/full integration. And some people don’t. Should full integration be offered? Yes, but only for people who are totally hard-core hackers. Because it’s so hard, because it’s so complicated, and because it’s something that, if done wrong, will seriously jack you up.

Shallow integration, of users and db, is what most people need. If you can theme WP, you can theme BB. If you can make a theme in WP, you can make it work in BB too with about an hour of work and make it seem seamless.

A pain? Yes. But IMO better than having to re-code everything.

And I too would rather sit on a cactus than use iframes.

@adeboy, thanks for the pointer to columbusunderground.

How is it that their signup/login is for WordPress, yet the profile page is from bbpress? Any idea?

Easy. You redirect BB presses signup/login to WP and then the WP profile to BB.

Okay, not ‘easy’ but … If you’ve integrated login, you can edit the login links on BBpress so registrations go to WP and then put a couple redirects in your htaccess in case someone gets ‘smart’. You still have people login through BB or WP, but since it’s the same server, it’s all good.

yeahs but BBPress is for coders to hack it together and make it suitable for a WP theme… that’s what its selling point is… its not just “another forum”… otherwise people would go for Vanilla or phpBB or other light forums.

The reason people come to BBPress is becuase of the intergration possibilities… and limiting the deep integration is the most Counter-Intuitive thing against its own selling point… utterly contradictory and frankly stupid… The majority will want deep intergration either now or later on… Regardless what type of user you are… there will be a point in that users time when he/she wants deep intergration.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Two huge strengths for stand-alone (simple) integration over deep integration are:

1. your forums can be still running even if your blog is temporarily down (or visa versa)

2. speed/performance – deep integration will crush a shared server if you get a surge in visitors

Ah. Yes, but no. Read https://bbpress.org/about/

bbPress is a simple forum software. Full stop. The fact that it integrates better with WP than other forums is … a bonus. In fact, none of the about pages mention wordpress except in that WP was the reason for tBB to be made.

The reason people come to BBPress is becuase of the intergration possibilities

Yes, most likely this is true. Heaven’s knows it was for me!

limiting the deep integration is the most Counter-Intuitive thing against its own selling point

Except it’s not a selling point. If it was, I’d agree with you, but it’s clearly not. Even in the documentation on how to to shallow and deep integration, it suggests not doing it because of load and overhead and other things.

I have no need for deep integration and I never will. I use four totally separate tools for my website: MediaWiki, bbPress, WordPress and Gallery2. ONLY WP and BB are integrated and even then, it’s just users so people can comment and post. I could, if I wanted, integrate WP+BB+MW, but even then I’d just want logins.

Why? Because while I want the site to look the same on each one, each tool I use is slightly different and needs customization. I feel that I can give my users a BETTER level of cross-tool integration if I take the time to customize each of my tools to that it is consistent with my site design AND consistent with the intended use of the tool itself. And I’m not the only person who thinks that way.

Some people want a silver bullet, a tool that does it all. Some people want the right tool for the right job and will customize as needed. Neither is right or wrong, it’s just preference.

By keeping bbPress NOT deep-integrated with WordPress, bbPress leaves itself open to be integrated with any other application, or not. It allows itself to be customized based on the needs of the client. And that is, in my opinion, a fantastic selling point :)

@Ipstenu

As I said, just becuase you do not want deep integration it doesn’t mean the majority won’t. It is going over the top to call it a “Silver Bullet” just becuase it might have deep intergration.

All I want to do is use the BBPress loop to add the latest topics on the index.php page of WP. … Getting told “oh well theres a plugin for that, for your sidebar” is probably the stinkiest response any one can give. People want to customize things, thats what BBPress is about, we dont want rigid fixed plugins. And not to mention really really lame. Deep intergration is the “right tool for the right job” for the majority of people using BBPress… except it wont be there.

@CK

both points are too weak to stop deep intergration and are probably really insufficient to fight your side of the argument. Dedicated servers will always be used for a large community base that has enough power to crush a shared server.. which is not that likely anyway.

Swaymedia, in the time you’ve spent writing all your posts you could have figured out how to do it. I did my iframe hack for the same thing you need in the time it took to write this post and it works perfectly. Stop moaning, its free software, it will happen one day but its not here yet, deal with it

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

@adeboy: can you post the URL to your forum? I had heard in the past that the iframe idea wouldn’t work, so if it does it would love to see it. Thanks.

OH MY GOD… are you guys serious… your going to cross over the solution with a stupid “iFrame”.. this is ridicilous….

@adeboy.. I know how to do iFrame, but design wise and everything else wise… Iframes suck… were taking a step backwords using iFrames, its like being in 1995 all over again.

@chrishajer – Its not quite ready for primetime but you just make a very basic page with the bb-load.php include and then you can get the latest topics/comments and create some links. You need some simple css in the page to match your site styling for the links and target the top frame in the links

require_once('../../bb-load.php');
    $topics = get_latest_topics( );

Your homepage might have adverts, widgets, maps etc which will often load in an iframe, as well as images, so the latest topics appear as part of the page build up.

One day i might get round to proper integration but until then, it works fine

@swaymedia – grow up

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Swaymedia,

Ipstenu made some great points, to show you the thoughts of someone with a different perspective. While you might not see his point of view, he was kind enough to lay out his view point for you.

As much as Ipstenu and _ck_ are making generalisations, so are you. You have no proof that “the majority” want what you want. You keep using the phrase “the majority” to back up your points, and while i mostly agree with your premise, i’m not overly confident that randomly adding in your guess on how many people might possibly maybe agree with you is helpful.

“the majority” is the same as “deep integration will crush a shared server if you get a surge in visitors”, there’s not facts or figures, just someone’s massive assumption, laid out to attempt to prove a point.

Ipstenu is wrong about integration not being mentioned on this site, it’s on the homepage (https://bbpress.org/), the about page (https://bbpress.org/about/features/) and on the documentation page (https://bbpress.org/documentation/integration-with-wordpress/) and this is what confuses people who are new to BBpress. But, every time someone mentions it, it’s shot down.

And yes, while using an iFrame is a hack, hacks are far from uncommon in the web industry, let alone wordpress or BBpress. Making things work has always been the way websites have been built, and while i understand and support your desire for a different method, there’s very little need for the ‘OMG’ simply because you dont like the solution presented (not to mention, i think very few 13 year old girls read this website so wont be too impressed ;-] ).

There’s loads of things wrong with BBpress, and many are trying to work to make it better. Getting up tight becuase you dont like a solution or because you want others to code a better one for you isn’t going to make BBpress a better fit for you. Take a deep breath my friend.

Kevinjohn

p.s. And if you were using an iFrame back in 1995 then my hats off to you, as Microsoft didn’t invent them until 2 years in later, so kudos for driving that delorian up to 88 miles an hour and going back in time to work as a microsoft dev in building IE 4.

===============================================================

_ck_: “If you don’t know what I know about bbPress it just means you are lazier than me”

@adeboy

where would you put the code:

require_once('../../bb-load.php');
    $topics = get_latest_topics( );

edit: @kevinjohn: i wont read all of that but “thumbs up”

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

With respect Swaymedia mate, if you don’t read what people reply to you, you’ll never get the answer to the questions you’ve asked.

===============================================================

_ck_: “If you don’t know what I know about bbPress it just means you are lazier than me”

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

@adeboy – I know how to create a page with an iframe, I just wanted to see your bbPress installation inside a WordPress page, in an iframe. When it’s ready, please post the link to it. Thanks.

@swaymedia – you make a php page in the bb template folder and put that code in, you get the topics which you can loop through as normal.

@chrishajer – sure, the full bbpress forum is not in an iframe in a WP page, just the recent posts, although i just realised for something else that a micro bbpress forum in an iframe/widget could be very interesting

Ipstenu made some great points, to show you the thoughts of someone with a different perspective. While you might not see his point of view, he was kind enough to lay out his view point for you.

As much as Ipstenu and _ck_ are making generalisations, so are you. You have no proof that “the majority” want what you want. You keep using the phrase “the majority” to back up your points, and while i mostly agree with your premise, i’m not overly confident that randomly adding in your guess on how many people might possibly maybe agree with you is helpful.

She … but that’s okay.

And of course I’m making generalizations. You kind of have to when the samples to draw from (bbPress users) are small, and the ideas are in-progress/developing as we speak :)

Silver-bullet means a magic cure all that does everything you (and by you I mean the individual) wants.

Mine is different from yours and everyone elses. So yeah, I’d rather see bbPress built with the flexibility to fit everyone. And that does mean something for the folks who want full-integration. But what we have today isn’t it. And based on what’s been posted before, I suspect it won’t be unless someone makes a plugin that does it.

As for being wrong about integration… I was incorrect, in part, but I was correct in what I meant. Didn’t say what I meant, which is soooo my bad. Can I blame being sick? Anyway, if you read https://bbpress.org/documentation/integration-with-wordpress/ it mentions functions (ie DEEP integration) as being both optional and not suggested. Which is what I meant. People ask about it, and the direction is right there. Now I will totally admit that ‘function’ doesn’t mean ‘theme integration’ and that is confusing to the newbies. So yes, the info in there makes sense, but it’s vague if you’re not really sunk into this already :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Even BuddyPress.org uses deep integration, so I think that for right now, the only way to tightly integrate the two platforms is to use deep integration.

Maybe tomorrow there will be a universal theme directory, and underneath that will be buddypress themes, bbpress themes, and wordpress themes, with wordpress mu sub themes for users.

There are ways that you can make a plugin for one application to mimic what the other application does, but for things like the BuddyPress buddybar, there’s no way to load that without loading the BuddyPress classes and functions, and you can’t get that info without the WordPressMU classes and functions on the ready.

Basically different strokes for different folks.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar