Categories
Search
Bottom

Delimeter Separate Tags

• Michael
    Participant

@michael888

Greets :)

I recently had a problem with my tag cloud, which I have not resolved. I landed up having to revert to the default tag cloud.

Now that I’ve done this, the tags look too close to eachother. So some tags look as if they are one, when they are actually two.

My idea is to separate them with bullets (•) of the same size. Once again, I don’t wanna go messing around with the core unless I know what I’m doing.

Any way to do this?

Peace, Michael

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Michael
    Participant

@michael888

I take it no one know how to do this…

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

So you’re not using the hot tags plus plugin any more?

Michael
    Participant

@michael888

No – I couldn’t fix the problem. So I’m using the normal tag cloud – but I eventually will switch to bbCumulus when I have a new domain and a blog to integrate my forum with.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

To space them out, could you do something like this?

#tag-page a {
    margin-right: 10px;
    }

I think I would add an additional div to your template so that this #tag-page a doesn’t affect all the links on the page. Just wrap the section you want this to work on in something like <div id="tag-heat-map">.

If you want to do use a bullet instead after each link, you could do this also, but I am not certain what browsers actually support text generated by the :after pseudo-element (I think it’s CSS 2.1):

#tag-page a:after {
    content: "%5C2007%5C00B7%5C2007";
    }

The 2007 is a digit space, and the 00B7 is a middot. Maybe something like that? Not even related to bbPress really.

EDIT: above, those %5C are supposed to be backslashes but I can’t keep them from being translated or decoded or whatever. Should be character encoding from here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-MathML2-20000211/bycodes.html

Michael
    Participant

@michael888

Most browsers will handle it – though I’m not sure about the bullets method you’ve given me. If I do it using CSS, then some bullets will be bigger than others because it’s size is not controlled by the CSS. I need all the bullets to be of the same size.

I’m sure there’s something I could do in tho core to split them. They are already split by spaces. I did have a look in some places, and I see that the tag list is an array that gets extracted [directly?] onto the page.

But now that I think of it – it might look a little out of proportion if I use bullets of the same size. Spacing will work – I will give that a try.

If I can’t do that, I’ll just add some other pseudo in CSS to make hover effects etc.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Don’t hack the core: http://i39.tinypic.com/23wofh1.jpg

In the core function, they’re only separated by spaces because all the links [a href=”whatever”]tag[/a] are on new lines, and the browser treats the new line as a space. If I knew more, I could tell you how to do it with a plugin, but because I don’t I gave an alternate solution.

There are a couple of different cases for output, one being an array, then you could just echo them with whatever delimiter you wanted.

The file you want to look at is ./bb-includes/functions.bb-template.php and the function is bb_get_tag_heat_map around line 3183 (in version 1.0.2 anyway) I think.

Michael
    Participant

@michael888

Nice pic – good emphasis. ;)

I see what you mean. I think I’ll just leave it as it is, and wait till a get a new domain so I can use a new theme with Cumulus.

I did already have a look at that file – but I couldn’t see how I would be able to change it.

Thanks for your info Chris :)

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar