Categories
Search
Bottom

Customizing "Reply To Topic" Area

• MarximusMG
    Participant

@marximusmg

Hey there,

Wanted to see if anyone had any idea how to customize the “Reply To:” area to function as it does on the site High Existence.

As can be seen here: http://www.highexistence.com/topic/to-go-to-college-or-to-move-to-la-and-act/
    the reply area is moved to directly beneath the first post on the topic, and in the usual place of the reply area is a large button reading “Reply To This Topic” that, when clicked, redirects the user to the top reply area beneath the first post.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

1. http://www.highexistence.com/ should be an example of a great looking bbpress site

Examples

2. i want that Hethens Voting plugin that site has .

3. the reply form below topic post could be there because they are showing the lead topic, and then inserting the reply form after that. not sure i will look at it though.

MarximusMG
    Participant

@marximusmg

Hey Robkk, thanks for the reply.

1. http://www.highexistence.com/ should be an example of a great looking bbpress site

https://bbpress.org/about/examples/

Totally agree. It’s a beautifully designed site.

2. i want that Hethens Voting plugin that site has .

I’ve been looking for it, so if you find it, please let me know!

3. the reply form below topic post could be there because they are showing the lead topic, and then inserting the reply form after that. not sure i will look at it though.

Again, please let me know if you figure this out! I appreciate it!

Robkk

@robkk

I’ve been looking for it, so if you find it, please let me know!

its probably a custom made plugin, using combined functionality of like 5 plugins i have seen on github.

Again, please let me know if you figure this out! I appreciate it!

well i know for sure they used the show lead topic on their site. but i dont feel like going into templates right now and fooling around with it just yet. So i will do this later today.

MarximusMG
    Participant

@marximusmg

well i know for sure they used the show lead topic on their site. but i dont feel like going into templates right now and fooling around with it just yet. So i will do this later today.

Thanks, I wasn’t even away of the Show Lead Topic function, so I’ll be looking more into this as well.

MarximusMG
    Participant

@marximusmg

Any luck finding out how this reply feature is accomplished?

I also would love to know how to (also seen on High Existence) implement the “reply” option on the top right of each post within the topic, which when clicked accordions out the reply form directly beneath that post.

Robkk

@robkk

Any luck finding out how this reply feature is accomplished?

@marximusmg
    i havent really dug into it ive been busy

but heres is the show lead topic function , throw that code into your child themes functions.php

bbp_show_lead_topic

im sure all you got to do is add the call for the reply form code somewhere right at the bottom in the lead topic template.

I also would love to know how to (also seen on High Existence) implement the “reply” option on the top right of each post within the topic, which when clicked accordions out the reply form directly beneath that post.

they use threaded replies, so if you go to bbpress forum settings then click threaded replies you should get that.

Robkk

@robkk

@marximusmg yeah this is pretty easy

copy content-single-topic into your bbpress folder in your child theme.

then just move <?php bbp_get_template_part( 'form', 'reply' ); ?>

just below <?php bbp_get_template_part( 'content', 'single-topic-lead' ); ?>

Robkk

@robkk

@marximusmg give me link to your site when you get this done, i just want to check it out

MarximusMG
    Participant

@marximusmg

@robkk You rule, thanks for the help! Here’s a site I’m just using to mess around with these customizations on: http://revyved.com/forums/topic/just-stumbled-on-this/

I was able to successfully move the reply form to beneath the first post in each topic, thanks to your suggestion to enable show lead topic, as well as moving the line of code in content-single-topic.

However, even after enabling threaded replies, I’m still unable to achieve the same result with the nested reply. When I click “reply” in the top corner of the 4th post down, for example, it just scrolls to the initial reply form beneath the first post, instead of opening up a new reply form beneath the 4th post.

Robkk

@robkk

However, even after enabling threaded replies, I’m still unable to achieve the same result with the nested reply. When I click “reply” in the top corner of the 4th post down, for example, it just scrolls to the initial reply form beneath the first post, instead of opening up a new reply form beneath the 4th post.

i dont really know then it might be edited threaded replies to bring up the reply form, i checked there code and on the reply link has

<a href="/topic/to-go-to-college-or-to-move-to-la-and-act/?bbp_reply_to=335515&_wpnonce=62ed053836#new-post" class="bbp-reply-to-link" onclick="return addReply.moveForm('post-335515','335515','new-reply-335513','335513');">Reply</a>

most of this code is normal except i think

onclick="return addReply.moveForm('post-335515','335515','new-reply-335513','335513');

the 335515 is most likey the post id

other than that i have no idea how to do this , but i mean if i find out in the future i will update this topic.

If you figure it out in the future before me i would like you to update this topic.

MarximusMG
    Participant

@marximusmg

If you figure it out in the future before me i would like you to update this topic.

Will do! Will be looking at this more tonight.

MarximusMG
    Participant

@marximusmg

@robkk still haven’t been able to make any progress on this. Any luck on your end?

Robkk

@robkk

yeah i still dont get why bbpress doesnt do that. I knew my bbpress on my local site did it before, or maybe i was messing with some other forum…

but yeah i found this site does what you need to.

click reply and the reply form goes up.

http://mmo4teen.com/forum/topic/test-again/

do you have anything??

MarximusMG
    Participant

@marximusmg

Unfortunately, nothing at all. :/

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar