Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Custom Theme critical fault: Class 'BBP_Theme_Compat' not found…Whut!?

• i’m adding bbPress to our WP blog, followed the instructions in the Theme Compatibility sticky and appended all the functions from bbPress/functions.php into myTheme/functions.php. as soon as i reloaded the page, i got a critical fault error. can’t find the required class. since i copied all the files across as instructed, shouldn’t the file be locatable? i’m not sure where to even begin with this. i thought integration would be relatively simple, i’m sure its something simple i’m overlooking.

please help me out so i can get cranking. i’ve already blown away the theme i built because i didn’t know bbPress’ cute little update ‘feature’, so i’m anxious to get back on track.

should mention, using latest of WordPress and bbPress.

thank you very much

WR!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• varsitysmack
    Participant

@varsitysmack

I have this issue too. It’s taken down my whole site. Needs resolved ASAP, please.

varsitysmack
    Participant

@varsitysmack

I should add that all was working just fine until I updated BBPress to 2.0.1. The only reason I updated it was because a wordpress update said there was a new version to download and I downloaded it. Got the error when the auto install tried to reactive the plugin.

The error when I tried to update to 2.0.1 was “Cannot remove old plugin” or similar.

The result was the same as above

Fatal error: Class 'BBP_Theme_Compat' not found in /var/www/karting/www/wp-content/themes/karting2011/functions.php on line 46

I deleted the bbpress folder from wp-content/plugins and then uploaded version 2.0.1 from here:

https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress/

To the same place as the old folder. The template for bbpress in my theme were untouched.

This got the site working again.

I can confirm that this is an issue.

However, gourou’s fix did not work for me. Site still trashed.

Any ideas???

A little more info:

The error is happening in the functions.php file of the custom theme, which is copied from the included TwentyTen theme.

I can get my site back by deleting my bbpress child theme. Re-adding the theme re-introduces the fatal error.

I’ve verified that BBP_Theme_Compat exists in bbp-core-compatibility.php. It looks like a load-order problem to me — like functions.php is trying to extend BBP_Theme_Compat before the class has been created in bbp-core-compatibility.php. Could that be the issue? If so, how does one fix that?

Hey folks. Got back up and running again. It is a load order issue. WP was attempting to load my theme files before it loaded the bbp core files. Since the class BBP_Theme_Compat is referenced in core, this makes wordpress asplode.

I disabled the theme via FTP to get access to WP admin, then disabled bbpress. Then re-enabled bbpress and lastly re-enabled the theme. Seems to have solved it for now. If I had better WP/php chops I’d know how to write some code that ensures BBP core always loads before any themes. But I don’t. Maybe that can go on the list for next release?

Have a good one.

i suspected this might be the case when i went and updated everything in the following order:

WP

theme

bbpress

plugins

and, like you @mesayre, my PHP chops aren’t quite up to the task of forcing a load order. would seem like a core-functionality issue that needs to be addressed quickly.

glad to hear i’m not the only poor bastard popping eyeballs at this one.

thanks for the pointers. i wish us all a communal good-luck and hope the higher ups see this and implement a fix for us all. to them: if i can help, let me know.

WR!

Hey @WhiteRau – here’s what I’ve found on the subject so far.

According to this:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-change-plugins-load-order

It should be completely possible to make bbPress load first using the priority value in the add_action() call. So if you can figure out which function(s) you want to be sure load first, you can enter a low value (lower than 10) and it should work. I don’t have time to test it now, but if you’re curious, I doubt it could hurt anything to give it a try.

Good luck!

Mike

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar