Categories
Search
Bottom

css advice needed for forum posts on mobile device

• nextpagenetty
    Participant

@nextpagenetty

Hello!
    My bbpress forums is working great except for the forum posts on a small screen mobile device.
    I understand where to make the change to the css (@media only screen and (max-width: 240px))
    I’m just not sure how to change it.
    My wordpress is: WordPress 3.9.1
    My bbpress is: 2.5.4
    and my website is http://www.fogeyscove.com/fogey-forums/

I also linked to a screen shot showing the issue as well as the css selectors that I need to adjust.
    forum-post-mobile.png

Thanks so much,
    Annette Kalapaca

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

im working on a good layout that should be great on mobile devices

its pretty much just turning attributes like freshness, posts, voices, and topics into rows instead of columns.

And using topic reply space wisely , and basically turning bbpress replies VISUALLY into a comment system

I might share my template files and css in the future

but i did check out your site and see that your using buddypress too

so you could try this plugin

https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddymobile/

I havent tried it yet so i cant really say much about it though.

nextpagenetty
    Participant

@nextpagenetty

Hey Robkk,

Thanks so much for your suggestion, I installed the buddymobile plugin but it had a conflict with another plugin called “easy modal” so I’m trying to sort that out because I think it would be the perfect solution.

In the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions how to fix the css so the forum author div displays above the forum post instead of to the left of it on the mobile screen.

Thanks again,
    Annette

Robkk

@robkk

yeh i have the layout your talking about but i have it on my site for whatever width the screen is.

heres a pic of a single reply

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Ue9ryY5cmYU3BHMDRkNzJsNU0/edit

and whenever the screen gets smaller i just change the size of the fonts and the avatar size

i will share the template files and css on github some time later though

nextpagenetty
    Participant

@nextpagenetty

YES! Yours is perfect Robkk!! Wish I had the css skills to style mine like this.
    Please let me know if you share on GitHub.

Annette

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

Robkk

Any news on the mobile layout you were working on?

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

bump !

Robkk

@robkk

Give me a minute to finish creating some trac tickets for a mobile layout in bbPress. I am trying not to include everything one single trac ticket.

The mobile layout I was working on long ago was never really that great from what I can see now. It does take some points from other forum software though, but in just some areas it didn’t stay tidy well enough without causing a mess at 320px.

Just a sidenote this topic from what I can tell, the user I think enabled threaded replies which doesn’t have a responsive styles in the bbpress plugin. And what is already there for responsive styles for the replies do not work because of some markup bug caused by the threaded replies feature and possibly its walker code.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar