Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Creating a new forum

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Are you doing this through

Dashboard>forums>new forum?

and what role have you given yourself

Dashboard>Users> edit user and select your username

You’ll see at the bottom of the edit screen your bbpress role

come back if I can help further

tonyhir
    Participant

@tonyhir

“Dashboard>Users> edit user and select your username
    Youll see at the bottom of the edit screen your bbpress role”

There is nothing about bbPress in my profile. But there is a box at the top for assigning forum roles to people, and I have used this to make myself Keymaster. The result is… exactly the same error message!

Robin W

@robin-w

so are you doing this through

Are you doing this through

Dashboard>forums>new forum?

tonyhir
    Participant

@tonyhir

Yes. There are two different ways to get to the same dialogue; but the error message is the same.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Sounds like you have some other plugin installed that’s wrongfully blocking access to the “Forum” post type. Do you at least see the three top level menu items for Forums, Topics, and Replies?

tonyhir
    Participant

@tonyhir

I see:-

(i) on the main screen the bbPress button, with a list of forum options;

(ii) the sane at the top of the Dashboard;

(iii) Forums, Topics and Replies on the Dashboard sidebar.

Robin W

@robin-w

then check for a plugin or theme conflict

Check other plugins

Check that no other plugins are affecting this.

Turn off all other plugins, and see if that fixes the problem. If the problem is resolved, add back one at a time to see which is causing the conflict.

Check themes

If plugins are not the cause, the it may be a theme issue. Switch to a default theme, such as twentytwelve, and test.

tonyhir
    Participant

@tonyhir

1. Turning of all plugins would disable those which support custom post types, such as books and films, which are currently used on the site.

2. It would also endanger the site’s security and expose it to hackers.

3. This is all for the benefit of a plugin which I have not been able to test.

4. All would be well if the site could be put into maintenance mode while plugins are disabled, or if I could work on a local copy. But I know nothing about these things. I see a number of maintenance mode plugins: can you recommend one?

Robin W

@robin-w

I don’t directly have any experience of maintenance plugins.

However creating a test/backup site, whilst requiring some further learning, is of great benefit, and discussed in the documentation here

https://codex.bbpress.org/creating-a-test-site/

tonyhir
    Participant

@tonyhir

I used the Maintenance plugin to put the site into maintenance mode, deactivated a number of plugins and was able to create several forums, one for each reactivated plugin. This leaves a remainder that will not activate because:-

“You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘TYPE=MyISAM’ at line 9 on line: 1471”

On going back and forth between the main screen and the Dashboard, I see that most of them now seem to be activated again. But I have lost the black toolbar that usually sits at the top of the main screen, with useful functions like New post etc. How do I restore it?

Robin W

@robin-w

are you still in maintenance mode? The toolbar might come back in live?

tonyhir
    Participant

@tonyhir

It is working now, though I don’t know why.

Robin W

@robin-w

“It is working now, though I don’t know why.”

It’s a computer – if we understood them we’d need brains the size of planets !

Glad you’re fixed !

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar