Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Converting PhpBB 3.0x to bbpress

• Is this possible? I never read thru the faq’s but i saw a site using your software and I love it. Is this possible? I never edited any of the raw php code in php, but changed the template a bit so the banner points to /. can this be easily done? I do have one custom theme….would that need to go? please direct me to the FAQ on this procedure

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Andre
    Participant

@andrejcarter

Which version of bbPress are you interested in, the standalone (version 1.03) or WordPress plugin (version 2.0)?

well, i can see you have issues with spambots here on the official site. which is a turn off.

I am interested in a NON beta release. Whatever is most applicable

Andre
    Participant

@andrejcarter

WordPress is required for the plugin (2.0) version. 2.0 is in Release Candidate now and should be released soon. 2.0 is compatible with the anti-spam plugin Akismet.

This site currently uses bbPress 1.x, but will be converted to 2.x. bbPress 1.x does not require the use of WordPress since it is not a plugin.

Which are you interested in?

I am looking for the most up to date version you have. I want to replace a forum I have which runs phpBB. But keep all the posts,threads,logins and mail function.

I would replace your anti spam plugin with my own.

changelee123

@changelee123

Andre
    Participant

@andrejcarter

@derpdiddy – I have no affiliation with bbPress other than being a user of the software. I have not coded a single line or made any other contribution other than trying to answer some of the questions on the forums so developers like JJJ can spend their time responding to the more complicated questions.

That being said, I would like to help you, but something in your responses is rubbing me the wrong way. In order to help you I need to know if you currently are or are willing to use WordPress on the site you want to convert from phpBB.

i can use wordpress to use this forum. my site is coded from scratch. except for the forums. i use phpbb. i like the layout sequence of this forum and wanted to use it. but i can probably just edit the phpbb code myself to get the results i want.

spambots on an official site promoting a service rubs me the wrong way and is a turn off

Andre
    Participant

@andrejcarter

I’d suggest looking at using bbPress 2.0 within WordPress. bbPress 2.0 is pre-release now, but was expected to be gold when WP 3.2 came out. WP 3.2 was released on Monday, but I haven’t seen an update for bbPress 2.0. The standalone version (1.x) of bbPress is expected the same time bbPress 2.0 is released, but I haven’t followed the progress of that version.

A phpbb3 to bbPress 2.0 converter is in the works. The ticket for it is https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1547. I’m guessing work on it will pick up once bbPress 2.0 goes gold. My understanding is the converter will keep usernames, passwords, and threads, but I don’t know about mail.

You will be able to fully customize the theme using either version of bbPress. Since I’d recommend using bbPress 2.0 inside WordPress, the relevant instructions are for creating WP themes (https://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development) and adding bbPress compatibility (https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-20-theme-compatibility).

The Akismet antispam plugin is not running here. I’d suggest installing it as you develop your own solution because you may find it meets your needs.

BEImprinted

@beimprinted

Las Vegas Screen Printing

Screen Printing Las Vegas

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar