Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Controlling Spam

• I am interested in hearing out what you guys are using for controlling spam on your forums and how effective they are.

Thanks in advance!

Edit – I am running 1.0.2v

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

purely akismet. On 2 of the forums I currently maintain (1 bbPress, 1 punBB hybrid).

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

purely akismet. On 2 of the forums I currently maintain (1 bbPress, 1 punBB hybrid).

Hey Rich, how does akismet deal with spam registrations? Have you checked the no of users do you have? Also can akismet handle spam when some human put in spam links in a post or it just work with bots.

Hey Rich, how does akismet deal with spam registrations? Have you checked the no of users do you have? Also can akismet handle spam when some human put in spam links in a post or it just work with bots.

Spam registrations are a huge problem for me. I tried to install two plugins, but so far that didn’t help. Since I am getting about 20 spam user registrations per day, I now simply renamed the register.php to something else. This should stop them dead.

Feature request: There should be an option somewhere that allows or blocks new user registration. In my case, with the WordPress integration, I only want registered wordpress users to access the forums anyway.

Spam registrations are a huge problem for me. I tried to install two plugins, but so far that didn’t help. Since I am getting about 20 spam user registrations per day, I now simply renamed the register.php to something else. This should stop them dead.

Feature request: There should be an option somewhere that allows or blocks new user registration. In my case, with the WordPress integration, I only want registered wordpress users to access the forums anyway.

Has anyone found a solution? I am ready to shut by bbpress installation down. I did use mass edit to get rid of some of the spam registrants but I would like an option to approve all new users. As it stand now, anyone can register and start posting…

Has anyone found a solution? I am ready to shut by bbpress installation down. I did use mass edit to get rid of some of the spam registrants but I would like an option to approve all new users. As it stand now, anyone can register and start posting…

Wanguard is helpful. That said, I have migrated over to BBpress, which has the same issues with registration: NO ADMIN CONTROL!!

Wanguard is helpful. That said, I have migrated over to BBpress, which has the same issues with registration: NO ADMIN CONTROL!!

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

NoSpamUser + Project HoneyPot + ReCaptcha

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

NoSpamUser + Project HoneyPot + ReCaptcha

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar