Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Congrulations bbPress 1.0!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Great! :-)

6 months ago, the counter was at 50k – https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-10-crosses-50000-downloads

Great and all. Though this happened FOUR THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTEEN downloads ago.

Fail or not?

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Fail or not?

Not.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

bbPress 0.9 downloads: 149095

bbPress 1.0 downloads: 106462

_ck_ plugin downloads: 93179

(but I think the plugin download counter was broken after bbpress.org 2.0)

Which is a strong indication that a huge majority of BBPress users wants the functionality offered by many of your plugins. Which should make it obvious that many of them should be built straight into BBpress by default.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Thats a leap mate.

The joy of bbPress is that if you want something, you can use a plugin. It keeps things nice and light for those that don’t want it :)

2. Less (code) is more

3. Simplicity is a feature

https://bbpress.org/about/

That said, _ck_, congratulations!!

Its wonderful for it to be so obvious as to how much you’ve contributed.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

@Marius, but everyone downloads different ones.

I’d never want to see even a handful of my plugins built into bbPress by default.

As much as people express the desire for a program to do everything they want out-of-the-box, it’s a VERY bad idea with software. Makes things too bulky. WordPress today is a perfect example of what happens when you give into that desire, you get bloated, overloaded, slow code.

But sadly they don’t believe in plugins – I’m kinda surprised even akismet is not hard coded into WordPress.

bbPress should have been a lightweight framework, half the size that it is now, that maybe shipped with a dozen plugins that are OFF by default. Too late now though.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar