Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Complete step 3 – but still getting the install.php page!

• natasheebear

@natasheebear

Hi, I completed up to step 3 (named the site Steeplechase Homeowner’s Association & specified first user and forum). However, now when I go to http://steeplechasega.info/bbpress/, I get the installer again – as if I didn’t setup anything.

This is frustrating because I should be getting the admin page, correct?

I tried to deleting the three install files in the admin directory remotely, but that seemed like a bad idea, so I re-upped them.

I can’t figure out what’s going wrong. Should I do something to my database? Should I be accessing a different directory for my admin screen?

And it doesn’t help that the installer screen is not allowing me to proceed from step 1 to step 2 and so on.

Someone please help me.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• mjjinvincible
    Participant

@mjjinvincible

So did you see the tables created in the database?

I don’t know, but maybe it is because of the GoDaddy ads causing something weir.

I remember installing WordPress 2.6 in their free hosting once, and when I logged in to the admin page there was an infinite loop that didn’t let me do anything.

Do you have PHP4 or 5 set in your hosting account? (with PHP4 it doesn’t create the first forum, and that’s the reason why it doesn’t allow you to log in to the admin panel, but in that case, it show a page to upgrade bbPress, not to install it again, so I guess this is not your problem).

Was there any error shown in the log it appears at the end of the installation?

I had the same problem and indeed it was because that first forum wasn’t created, and indeed because my server runs php4 by default (but I can override to php5 via .htaccess). Of course, I didn’t see this thread until after the fact.

My question: what are the three (or more, or less) files I need to *remove* so I can start the setup over again under php5 and get things working? I assume bb-config.php is among them, but what are the others? What files make bbpress realize it is already installed? Should I just drop everything and start over?

Mark

@delayedinsanity

I could be wrong about this, but you should only have to delete the tables from your database and remove the bb-config.php file (you could remove the .htaccess too, but as long as it’s owned by the web server, shouldn’t be a problem for bbpress to rewrite it).

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar