Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can't Post New Topic

• Tristan
    Participant

@tristanb

So I had to reinstall BuddyPress and bbPress, and now for some reason it won’t allow me to publish a new topic. I have the site-wide installation, and there is a “New Topic” button on my Forum Directory page… but when I click it nothing happens.

Please assist!

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Disable BuddyPress’s Forums component. If you’re using bbPress 2.2 on a brand new installation, it will power everything n

Tristan
    Participant

@tristanb

BuddyPress has me install bbPress, and when I disable BuddyPress’ forums it makes the forum page look like a blank profile (?) with Private or Public messaging buttons.

I’m confused. I just want the “New Topic” button to work.

Tristan
    Participant

@tristanb

I also noticed that under “New! Site Wide Forums”, I can click Install and it says that it’s done.

However, under “(Installed) Forums for Groups”, I can click Uninstall Group Forums, and when I refresh the page it still says that Group Forums are installed…

I am not using Groups (Groups module is disabled). I want a site wide forum.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

The UI on BuddyPress’s end hasn’t been updated yet. If you have bbPress installed, and are using it to power your group forums, the BuddyPress forums component should be completely turned off.

It’s possible there’s an issue with BuddyPress 1.6 in this regard, but there wasn’t in my testing. I’ll take another look around.

Tristan
    Participant

@tristanb

I’m really only wanting one forum to keep it clean. This is for my company so we’ll be discussing only things pertinent to our industry, it would over-complicate it if they had to navigate through multiple forums. I like the look of the BuddyPress forum, I just can’t make it work for some reason.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Are you using group forums, or do you want site wide forums?

Tristan
    Participant

@tristanb

I want site wide forums, I am not utilizing groups

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

• Delete your “Forums” page
    • Delete it permanently from your trash
    • Turn off BuddyPress’s forums component
    • Visit /forums/

Tristan
    Participant

@tristanb

Not exactly what I was looking for. I was hoping to get the “New Topic” button to work on the main forums page (this may not be bbPress as it appears (non-functional) without bbPress being installed.)

Tristan
    Participant

@tristanb

Thanks for your help, though, John! I really appreciate you taking some time to look into this.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I was hoping to get the “New Topic” button to work on the main forums page (this may not be bbPress as it appears (non-functional) without bbPress being installed.)

I’m confused about what you’re trying to do now; or what the actual problem is you’re having.

Thanks for your help, though, John! I really appreciate you taking some time to look into this.

No problem. Does this mean you fixed it, or it’s still not working correctly?

To clarify, you want something similar to the way bbPress.org works, where there is a “Create New Topic” button/link, that takes you to a dedicated page where users can create new topics?

Tristan
    Participant

@tristanb

I was able to get it to work, but not in the fashion that I had hoped. The BuddyPress forums created a page with a “New Topic” button at the top (http://www.connectedupdates.com/discussions/), however this button does not do anything. Ideally, I would like to use this page.

Any way we can make it work would be great.

Tristan
    Participant

@tristanb

Apparently you have to be logged in to see the button.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar