Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can’t get past 1st step

• Ganzuelo
    Participant

@ganzuelo

I am trying to install, very new at this. I get the error message “There was a problem connecting to the database you specified.

Please check the settings, then try again.:

I am using mediatemple (mt) can someone help?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Not sure what mediatemple is (hosting?) but basically the connection details you supplied for the database are incorrect. You usually need four things to connect to the database:

database name

database user

database password

database host

In a lot of cases if the first 3 are correct, it’s the 4th one that throws you. I think depending on the version you’re installing (what version is that?) the database host is not shown by default so you don’t enter it, it’s hidden by something like “Show advanced database settings” or similar. When you click that, you see the database host and the table prefix can be changed.

Is it possible your database is hosted on another server and you need to enter a host name here?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

You did create the database first, right?

If you already use wordpress, you can look at it’s wp-config.php file to see what settings it uses.

Ganzuelo
    Participant

@ganzuelo

Thanks! Sorry it took so long.. I got it thanks to chris. Now I am trying to figure out how to make a link to my wp to bb and vice versa.. http://www.willclan4food.net

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar