Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

cannot set wordpress role when user signs in through bbpress

• I have my wordpress and bbpress databases integrated, but cannot seem to set it up so that a user who signs up via bbpress is assigned a role on wordpress. I’ve played around with the User Role Map found in Settings – wordpress integration, but nothing seems to help. It does work the other way though – if a user signs up via wordpress, they are assigned the role in bbpress as I indicated via the role map.

Honestly, I don’t even understand how it’s supposed to work. It seems very one way. At no point does the map even ask what role I would like to assign someone in wordpress if they have a particular role in bbpress.

What I’d like to do is have everyone who signs up be given the role of Author. If this is possible, I’d really appreciate any tips on how to accomplish it. Thanks!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• warrenscott

@warrenscott

Same problem here. The bbpress roles need to match those of wordpress roles. I played with this for hours to the point I’m ready to ditch bbpress and just install vbulletin or phpbb. I love the intregration though. Everything else works great except when user register through bbpress.

hotforwords

@hotforwords

I am running 2.7 and alpha 5 with the same problem and can’t get the roles to work either. I did everything the way it was described to do.. even did a clean install of a website and bbpress to test it out and it didn’t assign roles there either.

I used the bbpress integration plugin as well.

I have 44,000 members, so this is a bit of an issue for me. I had to manually go in and assign roles to about 15,000 members and have to manually assign roles for all new members, which is about 100 a day, and a real pain.

Well, glad to see I’m not the only one with the problem at least. Hopefully someone has a solution for us… anyone? :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@the both of yous

Sambauers is the main programmer responsible for updating and maintaining bbPress, the rest of us seem to serve more as bug testers and trac reporters. You’re both correct to assume that the goal is to have it work both ways, with a registration at one platform to assign a role to the other.

@globalkris

You’re lucky, I haven’t been able to get either/or to automatically tell the other what roles to assign, despite my efforts. To be honest, it can’t be happening anywhere on the WordPress side of things, because WordPress has no idea that bbPress exists. It’s just doing what it always did. bbPress needs to look for capabilities, and assign them according to the WordPress role map provided it has been set.

It seems like a good idea to have the role-map setup as part of the installation process, if choosing to integrate that is.

The other side of this, which I’ve said before in different topics, is that automated integration of bbPress is difficult to predict, because there are several configurations that anyone could or would use, and it isn’t just WordPress that bbPress is intended to work with. There’s BuddyPress too, which is a whole other assortment of configurations. You can see how having bbPress automatically assign a role to a user that doesn’t have a role at all can be a strange situation, since there are times where WP users might not have roles either. There are about 250 different types of arrangements that users can have that must be trapped when I think about it, considering registrations on either side, the role map, and what the results of each situation would be.

Maybe when they register through WordPress, I don’t want them automatically given access to the forums, or vice versa. Even though they are integrated, maybe I don’t want them to have a role at all. What if WordPress registrations are closed but bbPress ones are open? I mean when you think of all of the possibilities, it’s a wonder/miracle that it works at all. Ha!

Long story short, Sam is working really hard on getting this integration up and running for us, and I suspect there will be an alpha6 coming shortly. :)

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar