Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Cannot Login After Install

• ethanthekiwi
    Participant

@ethanthekiwi

I am running WordPress 3.0 on a Turnkey Linux based server that is my own (not hosted). I downloaded the latest version (1.0) of bbPress and put it in /var/www/wordpress on my server. I went to mysite.org/bbpress (that’s not my actual domain, but it’s an intranet site anyway so it doesn’t matter) and went through the installer. I created a mysql database and everything else. I skipped integrate with WordPress (for now) and the installer worked. I went to mysite.org/bbpress and I could see the front page of the forum and everything looked fine. When I try to log in using the Key Master username and password I got from the install, I get sent to a page with:

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/wordpress/bbpress/bb-config.php:1) in /var/www/wordpress/bbpress/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-auth.php on line 273

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/wordpress/bbpress/bb-config.php:1) in /var/www/wordpress/bbpress/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-auth.php on line 273

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/wordpress/bbpress/bb-config.php:1) in /var/www/wordpress/bbpress/bb-includes/functions.bb-pluggable.php on line 232

I went and deleted everything and started over with the same result. I don’t know if it means anything, but I didn’t get an email from the site with the Master Key password either. Can anyone give me an idea of what I might be doing wrong? I not a coding expert, but I can usually figure these kind of things out. I would really like to use bbPress as it looks like the best forum for my users (which includes a wide range of people many of whom are not technologically savy). If you need any more technical details let me know. Thanks in advance.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

The issue appears to be in your bb-config file.

Double check that you don’t have an extra line at the start or end. The other warnings all come stem from that one.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

There are no errors listed there, just warnings. Were there any actual errors? What sort of server environment is this?

If you suppress the display of warnings in the browser, you might be able to see the error.

Do you have access to PHP error logs?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

But yeah, Kevin, good call on the bb-config.php. Something is wrong on line 1 there it looks like.

ethanthekiwi
    Participant

@ethanthekiwi

During the bbPress install it told me that I had to create a bb-config.php file and upload it to the root directory. I just copied the text, created the file and dropped it in without looking at it (I am not very familiar with php yet). Here is what it looked like on my server before:

<?php

/**

* The base configurations of bbPress.

* This file has the following configurations: MySQL settings, Table Prefix,

* Secret Keys and bbPress Language. You can get the MySQL settings from your

* web host.

* This file is used by the installer during installation.

* @package bbPress

*/

// ** MySQL settings – You can get this info from your web host ** //

/** The name of the database for bbPress */

define( ‘BBDB_NAME’, ‘bbpress’ );

/** MySQL database username */

define( ‘BBDB_USER’, ‘root’ );

/** MySQL database password */

define( ‘BBDB_PASSWORD’, ‘There was a password here’ );

/** MySQL hostname */

define( ‘BBDB_HOST’, ‘localhost’ );

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */

define( ‘BBDB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8’ );

/** The Database Collate type. Don’t change this if in doubt. */

define( ‘BBDB_COLLATE’, ” );

/**#@+

* Authentication Unique Keys.

* Change these to different unique phrases!

* You can generate these using the {@link https://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/bbpress/ WordPress.org secret-key service}

* @since 1.0

*/

define( ‘BB_AUTH_KEY’, ‘put your unique phrase here’ );

define( ‘BB_SECURE_AUTH_KEY’, ‘put your unique phrase here’ );

define( ‘BB_LOGGED_IN_KEY’, ‘put your unique phrase here’ );

define( ‘BB_NONCE_KEY’, ‘put your unique phrase here’ );

/**#@-*/

/**

* bbPress Database Table prefix.

* You can have multiple installations in one database if you give each a unique

* prefix. Only numbers, letters, and underscores please!

*/

$bb_table_prefix = ‘bb_’;

/**

* bbPress Localized Language, defaults to English.

* Change this to localize bbPress. A corresponding MO file for the chosen

* language must be installed to a directory called “my-languages” in the root

* directory of bbPress. For example, install de.mo to “my-languages” and set

* BB_LANG to ‘de’ to enable German language support.

*/

define( ‘BB_LANG’, ” );

?>

There were no spaces on or before the first or last lines. This is what it looked like (aside from me removing the password). I noticed the ‘put your unique phrase here’ deal and went ahead and filled those in following the instructions in the comment before it. Then I went to the page again and go the same error.

@chrishajer

I didn’t set the server up, but I believe it is a VMware WordPress application http://www.turnkeylinux.org/wordpress. I am afraid I don’t know where the php error log would be. The warnings are on the page itself not in a popup or anything. The url of the page with the warnings is mysite.org/bbpress/bb-login.php. I hope that helps.

ethanthekiwi
    Participant

@ethanthekiwi

I guess this forum turns the left and right carrots (aka less than and greater than signs) into < and &gt. The first and last characters were < and >

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Yeah, thats a bug with a system we’re dependant on.

It was fixed yesterday, but hasn’t quite rolled out here yet.

If you’re absolutely sure that this is no spaces whatsoever then here is a solution. delete bb-config.php and copy bb-config-sample.php and rename it bb-config.php.

When you load your forum now, you should see it say “Cannot establish a database connection”.

If it does, then edit the new bb-config.php with your database/username information :)

It’s happened to me before, this seems to solve it.

ethanthekiwi
    Participant

@ethanthekiwi

That worked! Thanks so much for your prompt help.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar