Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can I use my WordPress theme with bbPress?

• OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

Surely this is one of the most frequently asked question by noobs? But I couldn’t find it in the FAQ (in docs), not in the forums, so had to ask.

I am currently running WordPress with Weaver theme, and wondering if bbPress can directly utilize that theme, as that would be one of the big thinks I’d be seeking to achieve by moving from phpbb to bbpress…

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

bbPress works on virtually any theme out there. It may take a little tweaking of the css to get it to look right, but it should still work just fine.

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

Anointed, I’m facing a bit of a problem.

I have just installed bbPress plugin into my WordPress (with Weaver II theme – based on TwentyEleven theme).

When I go to the forums root, the layout seems acceptable.

However, when I click on a forum, I am taken to a page where I do not see any topics listed under the forum, even though I have created a topic under this forum, and this is acknowledged in the forum list (root).

If I go directly to the topic URL by typing it in address bar, I do get to the topic page, which is visible just fine (except that no reply, flag, quote etc buttons are available).

Please help!

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/topics-not-showing-in-forum

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

Make sure that you have gone into settings -> forums and clicked save. I would also suggest going into settings -> permalinks, choose a nice url structure from the list and also click save.

This ‘should’ set the permalinks for everything so that your topics will show up. Hopefully solving the problem.

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

I tried what you suggested.

At my forums root http://klymene.net/forums/ you will see 2 forums listed – English and Hindi. You will also see that there is an indication of some content under English.

If you click on English http://klymene.net/forums/forum/english no topics are listed.

On top of page, you will see error message

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: nothing to repeat at offset 1 in .../wp-includes/class-wp.php on line 201
    Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: nothing to repeat at offset 1 in .../wp-includes/class-wp.php on line 202

You can go directly to http://klymene.net/forums/topic/test and see the topic which should be under the English forum. Topic actions like Reply are absent though.

On top of page, you will see error

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: nothing to repeat at offset 1 in .../wp-includes/class-wp.php on line 201
    Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: nothing to repeat at offset 1 in .../wp-includes/class-wp.php on line 202

P.S. In Settings > Permalinks, the setting is

/%postname%.html

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

have you tried a standard permalink option just to see if it would work? /%postname%/ for example?

I’m not really sure what those errors mean, but that is my best guess, that somehow it doesn’t like the .html?

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

Tried just now.

Didn’t make any difference to the forum page, but the topic page got worse…

When I try to go directly to topic page with the URL, I only get a white page with the following error:

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: nothing to repeat at offset 1 in ../wp-includes/class-wp.php on line 201

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: nothing to repeat at offset 1 in ../wp-includes/class-wp.php on line 202

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at ../wp-includes/class-wp.php:201) in ../wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 866

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

I would start by deactivating all other plugins and also activate the default twentyeleven theme, then choosing one of the default url settings, click save. Then go to settings -> forums, and click save.

It sounds like maybe another plugin or a theme setting is interfering.

If it fixes the problem, then activate one plugin at a time to find the problem one..

My best guess…

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

That worked! Thanks!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar