Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can a topic be assigned to multiple forums or categories ?

• gplana
    Participant

@gplana

Hi !

I wonder if a topic can be assigned not just to a single forum, but to a multiple forum, just like WordPress posts can be assigned to multiple categories.

Imagine I have a question related to computers and medecine. Can I create a single topic under both forum categories computers and medecine ?

Thank you.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Forums and categories are designed and architected to be the construct that groups topics and replies together into a familiar relationship.

What you want to do *could* be possible, but I think you’ll have more success creating your own taxonomy structure to group topics together with, and using the core Forum/Category structure as the canonical place where that topic ultimately lives.

Research creating custom WordPress taxonomies. It should help you achieve what you’re trying to do pretty easily.

gplana
    Participant

@gplana

Thanks a lot for your answer, John.

I agree, I think I will use forums (and forums categories) for canonical place, and I will try the WordPress categories taxonomy to do what I need. However, I have two questions:

1. Should I modify the core of bbPress for archieving this ? If I should, I don’t really like it because if a new version of bbPress is published then I won’t be able to upgrade easyly.

2. Does it already exist a plugin or something similar where this (using WordPress categories) is already implemented ?

Many thanks.

gplana
    Participant

@gplana

Hi again, John.

I’m answering myself :)

I followed your clue and found this link: https://codex.wordpress.org/Taxonomies which explains very well what to do for creating a ‘forum_categories’ taxonomy.

Then I think I can just call bb_has_topics from my template with this parameter:

array(‘forum_categories’ =>

array(‘searched_category1’, ‘searched_category2, ….)

)

I will try and let you know.

Thanks a lot !!

gplana
    Participant

@gplana

I have tried and it works very well. Just following the steps on the link above and also using this to make the filter:

$args = array(

‘tax_query’ => array(

array(

‘taxonomy’ => ‘your_taxonomy_name_here’,

‘field’ => ‘id’,

‘terms’ => $id_of_your_taxonomy_term

)

)

);

$query = new WP_Query( $args );

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar