Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Buddypress group forum not working.

• Alexander
    Participant

@ashenkargmailcom

I’m using the latest version of bbPress, Buddypress, in a subdomain multisite environment.

I have the site-wide forum enabled. It works.

I also have “Allow BuddyPress Groups to have their own forums” enabled. This part doesn’t quite work.

In the groups admin, I can enable the group forum. After I do this, the forum tab appears and shows that there are no new topics in the group’s forum. I can also see the new forum as a subgroup of the parent group-forum.

When I post new topics to the group’s forum, they don’t show up. They just disappear. I don’t even see them in the backend in the Topics view.

This briefly worked before – and then it stopped. I might have changed some slugs, and enabled and then disabled the Buddypress forum component.

I’ve ran the forum error checker in Tools/Forum. There are also no slug conflicts in Settings/Forum.

What can I do next?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Alexander
    Participant

@ashenkargmailcom

To add to the description:

I can add topics as normal to the non-group forums. So this issue is only effecting the functionality of the Buddypress group forums.

I don’t have the Buddypress group forum component enabled – only the site-wide forum with the Allow BuddyPress Groups to have their own forums” option enabled.

Alexander
    Participant

@ashenkargmailcom

As part of the troubleshooting process, I’ve created a topic inside of the group’s forum from the wp-admin, and it showed up in the Group’s forum tab.

Next, I tried to reply to the topic from within the Group (on the front-end) – and it disappeared too.

So from what I can tell, when creating new Group topics and new Group topic replies on the front-end – they all disappear.

jeffacubed
    Participant

@jeffacubed

Alexander – I’ve been experiencing EXACTLY what you describe on a Buddypress (1.6.4) + bbPress (2.2.4) multisite (WordPress 3.5.1), in that I can create new group topics from the back end (check), from the site-wide forums area (check) but NOT within the actual buddypress group area (front-end). As odd as this might sound, I did try enabling bbPress (over the entire multisite) which then enabled me to post/create new topics & replies from the front-end of the groups/forums area. If I switch bbPress back to being enabled only on site 1 (i.e the root in my multisite environment) then I’m back to the inability to post/create topics & replies via the front-end, though again this all works from the back-end + via the site-wide forums area (i.e new topic to a specific group forum works 100%).

So, I’ve concluded that somewhere along the line, there’s some sort of corruption, likely in one of the db tables &/or relationships. You’re not the only person I’ve heard of who has had this exact problem over the past few months w bbPress + buddypress + WP multisite. As a test, I created a multisite BuddyPress + bbPress fresh install, and the ability to create/post topics & replies from the front-end (within the group forums area) works 100% (i.e no disappearing). This test also works whether bbPress was enabled sitewide or a a specific site in the multisite network.

A very confusing problem indeed. The frustrating piece is I’ve actually come across this problem before (~ 3 months) ago, resolved it, though now I can’t 100% recall the steps I took to rectify!

I think I’ll tackle this one again, as the idea of needed to enable bbPress as a network activation to resolve the issue is not the most ideal situation, at least not for me.

Good luck!

-Jeff

jeffacubed
    Participant

@jeffacubed

btw, is a link to another multisite user experiencing the same issue around the inability create new topics/replies via the front-end of the group > forums area.

jeffacubed
    Participant

@jeffacubed

The actual link is below…

Alexander
    Participant

@ashenkargmailcom

@jeffacubed – that’s good to know that I’m not the only one out there.

I did notice that a few people had a similar issue, or at least related ones, although I don’t know of a resolution.

I don’t want to blow out the forum and start all over just to get it working – but I will if I have to.

I would prefer to learn whatever is broken and try to fix it.

BTW – I don’t see the link.

jeffacubed
    Participant

@jeffacubed

@alexander – hmm, my links don’t seem to be working in the bbPress forums (odd). If you google “bbpress multisite cannot post group topics” you’ll find a topic by @wdfee on the same issue. For whatever reason, none of my bbPress links seem to be working (very odd…)

I have a funny feeling someone will figure this out soon, perhaps even me or you, as even my ‘temporary’ sol’n is to leave bbPress activated site-wide, which I don’t really want to do. I’m with you on ‘fix/understand the problem’ rather than mask it over. If I discover anything, I’ll definitely let you know. Like I mentioned, I’m almost positive I fixed this same issue a few months ago…

Jeff

monaafifi
    Participant

@monaafifi

Hello regarding you issue, I have downloaded a newer theme ALizee, and it kind of solved all the issues you addressed, the “create group” icon now appears also the latest topics posted appears.
    Also by accident I have “un ticked” the below:
    – Automatically add new top-level pages to this menu
    – Primary Menu
    – Social
    in the menu setting and it worked well.

If you still can’t view forum, you can create new page call it forums and in the html “txt” write [bbp-forum-index] and it will appear

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar