Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Better WYSIWYG text editor?

• I’m surprised that BBpress doesnt have a visual text editor. Are there any plans to create one or have support for integrating existing ones like tinymce/ckeditor ?

I’m currently using bbPress Post Toolbar and find it kind of lacking.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

• Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

bbPress 2.0 (the plugin) has built-in support for tinymce. I guess bbPress 1 would not see any more feature additions.

acousticwebdesign
    Participant

@acousticwebdesign

How do you enable tinymce. I am using bbpress 2.0.2 and don’t see this option anywhere.

Also, users can’t enter anything that looks like xhtml tags. It gets deleted when submitted. How can I enable this as well?

Jarret
    Participant

@jarretc

In wp-admin go to Settings->Forums and enable the Fancy Editor to enable using TinyMCE.

acousticwebdesign
    Participant

@acousticwebdesign

Thanks for the reply Jarret, but there is no “Enable Fancy Editor” setting in Settings -> Forums.

I’m using BBPress 2.0.2.

What Section is it under on the settings page (Main Settings, Per Page, Per RSS Page,…)?

acousticwebdesign, the “Fancy Editor” (which is using wordpress default editor) is only available in bbPress 2.1, which is still under development.

You might want to take a look

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/milestone/2.1

For bbPress 2.02 user, I recommend you to use Rich Text Editor For Comments which is using jWYSIWYG, although it’s may be a bit hard for beginners to configure it as it lack a setting page.

You can style the editor if you hate the default styling, provided that you know some CSS stuff.

acousticwebdesign
    Participant

@acousticwebdesign

Thanks Sniper Kitten, that’s very helpful.

What about the backtick functionality I keep seeing in the forums? From what I can guess, this is supposed to let you embed html tags (or similar) in a forum reply between backticks and have those tags show up (encoded) in the reply. Is this only a feature of 2.1 as well? It’s not working right now on my forum. This is really the only functionality I need right now.

jjman
    Participant

@jjman

I’m using the bbpress 2.1 and the inclusion of the fancy editor was really great. Thanks for your job!

@sniper kitten, is there a quick way to add the smiley button to the editor?

I was looking at the code but can’t see work it out. Some help would be appreciated.

:)

@jjman – you can use this plugin to add a button for emoticons to the editor.

https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tinymce-advanced/

jjman
    Participant

@jjman

@jaredatch Thanks, I have tried that editor but it didn’t work in the environment I’m developing.

A forum user needs a basic editor but to make a blogpost I need the regular wp-editor. The tinymce-advanced seems to override all wp-editors.

I read somewhere in the forum that the develper of that plugin was planning to implement some sort of feature where you can have role-based variants but he’s not quite there yet.

discdemo
    Participant

@discdemo

Hi. I have the very latest bbpress but do not see an option in forum settings for fancy editor.
    I have WP-EDIT as apparently this replaced tinymce.

Can anyone comment? I see the same editor here. Just thinking of my potential non-techy members.
    Thanks!

Doug Smith
    Participant

@douglsmith

You can add this code to your theme’s functions.php file to enable the editor.

function bbp_enable_visual_editor( $args = array() ) {
        $args['tinymce'] = true;
        return $args;
    }
    add_filter( 'bbp_after_get_the_content_parse_args', 'bbp_enable_visual_editor' );

The visual editor is almost essential for the non-technical audience I have on my forum. Unfortunately, it’s not perfect. For example, if someone copies and pastes a previous post to quote it they’ll end up with a bunch of html visible in their post.

discdemo
    Participant

@discdemo

hmm, bummer. Thank you though for the code, Doug.
    Perhaps it will come in handy if I don’t just use the wall.
    I might need it.

Thank you, again.
    jz

discdemo
    Participant

@discdemo

Doug,

I tried this in the custom functions area and my site errors out.

When I remove it, my site comes back .. fyi.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    jz

discdemo
    Participant

@discdemo

@dougismith I’m getting this when I try your suggested code.
    Any ideas, anyone? This was placed where the child theme for buddy press
    states to, in the functions.php. (I’ using a theme called BuddyBoss, fyi)

Thanks, all.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘&’, expecting ‘]’ in /home/agonyofd/public_html/wp-content/themes/buddyboss-child/functions.php on line 60

jz

Robkk

@robkk

@discdemo

remove Dougs code and see if just using this will fix it. it does the same thing.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpress-enable-tinymce-visual-tab/

also see if deactivating wp-edit will fix the problem , i tried it awhile ago with the visual editor code and it was kind of buggy.

discdemo
    Participant

@discdemo

This looks to be working. I just deactivated WPEDIT right away, so not sure if it works with it.
    Thanks again … Robb!
    jz

mvaneijgen
    Participant

@mvaneijgen

How do you handle the html injection when text is copied from a source?

Robkk

@robkk

@mvaneijgen

there is a function to block unwanted html if thats what your saying??

https://gist.github.com/ntwb/7797990

mvaneijgen
    Participant

@mvaneijgen

I just copied text from another website and paste it in the visual editor and the message will have html tags in te text (not rendered html)

<h2 style=”color: #00bbaa; margin: 0px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, sans-serif; line-height: normal;”>SVG for web</h2>
    <p style=”margin: 15px 0px; color: #000000; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, sans-serif; font-size: medium; line-height: normal;”></p>
    <p style=”margin: 15px 0px; color: #000000; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, sans-serif; font-size: medium; line-height: normal;”>Twee jaar geleden dachten wij een goed idee te hebben, een HTML app m....

This is what it looks like.

Robkk

@robkk

@mvaneijgen

did some research and this is normal

i suggest pasting any content from another website that might contain html formatting into the html area, or retype everything.

and dont copy/paste from sites into the visual editor.

Doug Smith
    Participant

@douglsmith

Sometimes this happens when copying from within the same site. For example, you may copy and paste from a previous part of the conversation to quote it. The HTML from the site will be picked up and copied into the editor.

I just added a function to fix this behavior at the bottom of the Enable Visual Editor bbPress Codex page.

Robkk

@robkk

great , this is very useful @douglsmith

@mvaneijgen
    i guess Doug has your back on this one.

atomnet
    Participant

@atomnet

Can i add import image from Computer?

Thanks.

thinkDrew
    Participant

@thinkdrew

I was looking for something like this as well for our “non-tech savy” audience and found that @Robkk answer works best: https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpress-enable-tinymce-visual-tab/

Pascal Casier

@casiepa

Hi @thinkDrew,

If it can help, a basic tinyMCE can also be activated in my bbP Toolkit plugin.

Pascal.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar