Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Best way to prevent SPAM registration?

• frooyo

@frooyo

What’s the best way to prevent spam user account registration?

I’ve tried the “Human Test for bbPress” plug-in but it seems to stop working with 1.0 RC.

Any other plug-ins out there that are a good way to prevent spam user account registeration?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Arturo
    Participant

@arturo84

i’ve it with latest rc3 and works without problem

Detective

@detective

I also have this in my .htaccess:

# BEGIN ANTISPAMBLOG REGISTRATION
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} POST
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} .register.php*
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !.*ryuuko.cl.* [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^$
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.dii.uchile.cl/ [R=301,L]
    # END ANTISPAMBLOG REGISTRATION

The dii.uchile.cl url is an internal joke :P

Michael3185

@michael3185

@Detective; for a bit of a noob here, could you briefly explain what those .htaccess rewrites do please? (Wondering if I should add something like them).

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

What he has done is rename register.php to another name and therefore if any bot tries to directly access the register.php file, it’s not human and bounced elsewhere.

It’s a reasonably good idea. But it may break some plugins which can’t detect if they are on the registration page if it’s renamed.

Thion

@thion

I’m using “Human Test for bbPress” with RC3 and it’s working perfectly, spam bots has been stopped.

Michael3185

@michael3185

Cheers _ck_. I had a look at an online rewrite guide but my brain tried to crawl out of my ears.

Detective

@detective

The .htaccess code redirects all POST requests to register.php to another url if the request doesn’t have a referer from my own forum.

The code is originally from here: http://wpmututorials.com/how-to/spam-blogs-and-buddypress/

vanesta

@vanesta

You can’t just stick with one way of spam registration prevention, might need to mix it up a bit overtime

phaniraj01

@phaniraj01

Renaming register.php may be very good idea..

Thanks _CK_

Rhys Wynne
    Participant

@rhyswynne

If you’re familiar with ReCAPTCHA I’ve written a plugin that integrates this spam prevention tool with bbPress.

It’s still waiting to go into the SVN, but you can download it here – http://www.gospelrhys.co.uk/plugins/bbpress-plugins/recaptcha-bbpress-plugin

I’ve tested this on a 0.9 site, and it’s completely eliminated spam (since Sunday…at least!)

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

rhyswynne I reminded Sam to approve your svn slot so it should be active now

Rhys Wynne
    Participant

@rhyswynne

Thanks CK :)

Piya

@multitask

I’ve tried to install ReCAPTCHA plugin but bbpress can not block spam registration from bad guy.

How to completely change registor.php file ?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.