Categories
Search
Bottom

bbpress plugin — custom template mods

• Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

Scenario:

I am building my own custom bbpress theme. I started by moving all of the theme files into my current theme and also adding in the needed functions from the functions.php file into my current theme.

problems:

I have copied the /theme/bbpress/ folder into my current theme folder.

It seems that any modifications I make to files within MYTHEME/bbpress/ are not being picked up by bbpress. If I go into the actual plugin folder and modify the files in the theme/bbpress/ folder there, then the changes occur.

–requested solution

Please change the loading structure so that bbpress first checks the active theme for all needed bbpress theme files including those in the bbpress folder. If none are found then default back to the plugin theme directory.

It would almost be like treating the currently active theme as a child theme of bbpress. This would make modifications much easier to maintain, while still being able to safely update bbpress.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You’re doing it wrong. :)

You need to tell bbPress that your theme is going to override the theme compatibility. Sadly we can’t really have that cake and eat it too.

Add this to your functions.php for your theme and it should work exactly like you want it to.

add_theme_support( 'bbpress' );

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You’re doing it wrong. :)

You need to tell bbPress that your theme is going to override the theme compatibility. Sadly we can’t really have that cake and eat it too.

Add this to your functions.php for your theme and it should work exactly like you want it to.

add_theme_support( 'bbpress' );

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

@JJJ

LOL, I’m an idiot,,,,(should have remembered that from my bp theme days)

Working exactly as expected now.

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

@JJJ

LOL, I’m an idiot,,,,(should have remembered that from my bp theme days)

Working exactly as expected now.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Not an idiot, it’s just new and uncharted territory. I’ve coded a lot of little subtleties into the plugin that will come out as time goes on. Pretty much anything you want to do with it, you should be able to do. If you find a limitation, I want to fix it. :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Not an idiot, it’s just new and uncharted territory. I’ve coded a lot of little subtleties into the plugin that will come out as time goes on. Pretty much anything you want to do with it, you should be able to do. If you find a limitation, I want to fix it. :)

christopher jon

@christopher-jon

Follow up question,

What would I be losing if I don’t include the rest of the bbpress related stuff in the child theme functions.php?

christopher jon

@christopher-jon

Follow up question,

What would I be losing if I don’t include the rest of the bbpress related stuff in the child theme functions.php?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Nothing really. It’s mostly for the AJAX of the favorites and subscribe links, which work perfectly fine without it.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Nothing really. It’s mostly for the AJAX of the favorites and subscribe links, which work perfectly fine without it.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar