Categories
Search
Bottom

bbpress plugin beta2 breadcrumbs

• Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

Suggestion:

I noticed that beta2 changed the breadcrumbs to include a ‘Home’ button as the first level. The suggestion would be to have the ‘Home’ button link to the forum home page and not the site root home page.

It is rather confusing even to myself to be kicked from the forums when clicking the home breadcrumb link. I would expect to be sent to the forum homepage instead.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You can manipulate the inclusion of the links on customized setups (such as the one I know you have.) :) Check out the plugin code and adjust it to suit your needs in your custom theme.

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

Yup, I am more than comfortable with modifying this for my own needs. I was just thinking that the standard should go to the forums, as people browsing forums wouldn’t expect to jump to the homepage via forum breadcrumbs.

Either way, life is good LOL

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

The sanity check that I do in the breadcrumb is to check if the root slug is being included in the forums or not. If there’s no root slug, in the URL, then there’s no definitive breadcrumb that bbPress could know about. My logic may still be flawed here though. :)

In beta1, I remember seeing a “Forums” link in the breadcrumbs, such as Forums > Forum 1. In beta2, this is no longer the case: I see Home > Forum 1 whereas I would have expected it to show Home > Forums > Forum 1.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I’ve been tweaking the breadcrumbs, trying to find the sweet spot. There’s starting to be a lot of possible ways to display the forum archives now. With page templates, archives, shortcodes, etc… it’s hard to know what is the actual root and where.

I think I’ve got it dialed in for Beta 3. I spent the majority of last night testing all of the above scenarios.

Good to hear – just updated to 3254 and I see Home > Forums > Forum Name breadcrumb :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Also, for theme authors that want to have tricked out and customized themes that might need radical changes to the breadcrumb, the breadcrumb can be fed a bunch of parameters to adjust and/or force certain crumbs to appear, or turned off completely.

I’d also like to turn off the Home link (first breadcrumb). From this post, I gather it is reasonably easy to do (I’m OK with editing the source).

Can you offer a little more guidance on what to edit?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar