Categories
Search
Bottom

bbpress plugin 2 beta 1

• jarledb
    Participant

@jarledb

Signup/start page:

Are search, login and register supposed to be on the first page of the forum (typically blog.tld/forums/ ? Neither the twentyten or the themes integration seems to give that.

Is there a widget for signup as well as login? Would be a nice way to have people sign up.

Spam?

How is spam handled? I can see no feature for blocking ip-adresses and blacklisting. Is spam handled with the Akismet plug-in I have already installed in my wordpress installation?

Documentation

Where do I find documentation for the plugin? I see it mentioned in the forum here, but have not been able to find the site.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• jarledb
    Participant

@jarledb

Hope someone can help me out here :) Feeling pretty stuck

jarledb
    Participant

@jarledb

Hope someone can help me out here :) Feeling pretty stuck

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@jerledb – Login/register are supported via page templates, there is a login widget, and eventually shortcodes too. A register widget is a nice idea but leads way to lost-password and activation widgets, none of which will make it into 2.0.

Spam isn’t really handled yet, since there’s no one spamming forums that don’t use software that isn’t released yet. :D There is a Trac ticket regarding Akismet integration, but either Akismet will need to be updated or a special version of Akismet to concentrate on post spam (which isn’t really a WordPress issue.)

Regarding IP addresses, there are WordPress plugins to help with this, and WordPress multisite comes with this kind of functionality baked in. Traditionally WordPress doesn’t handle spam at a user level, since registered users are typically already trusted to some regard. We run into this issue a little bit even here at bbpress.org. bbPress does log the IP address of every topic/reply that is created, so a plugin can use that to check against a ban list or something.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@jerledb – Login/register are supported via page templates, there is a login widget, and eventually shortcodes too. A register widget is a nice idea but leads way to lost-password and activation widgets, none of which will make it into 2.0.

Spam isn’t really handled yet, since there’s no one spamming forums that don’t use software that isn’t released yet. :D There is a Trac ticket regarding Akismet integration, but either Akismet will need to be updated or a special version of Akismet to concentrate on post spam (which isn’t really a WordPress issue.)

Regarding IP addresses, there are WordPress plugins to help with this, and WordPress multisite comes with this kind of functionality baked in. Traditionally WordPress doesn’t handle spam at a user level, since registered users are typically already trusted to some regard. We run into this issue a little bit even here at bbpress.org. bbPress does log the IP address of every topic/reply that is created, so a plugin can use that to check against a ban list or something.

jarledb
    Participant

@jarledb

@john james jacoby – Thank you for a throughout explenation and update.

I am using template integration mode (so no actual templates for the theme I am using, although I am trying to push Woothemes to make child themes for bbPress ;)

I might end up copying the files over and integrating it myself, especially if that is the only (and easiest) way to get all functionality over.

It seems to me that even with the Twentyten theme the first page for the forum does not include things like login, register and search. Which seems a bit odd to me. Is it supposed to be like that?

I am not using WordPress multisite, are there plugins you would recommend looking at for ip-banning and anti-spam features that will work with bbPress? Or can I just forget about that for a while until bbPress is released as a stable version?

jarledb
    Participant

@jarledb

@john james jacoby – Thank you for a throughout explenation and update.

I am using template integration mode (so no actual templates for the theme I am using, although I am trying to push Woothemes to make child themes for bbPress ;)

I might end up copying the files over and integrating it myself, especially if that is the only (and easiest) way to get all functionality over.

It seems to me that even with the Twentyten theme the first page for the forum does not include things like login, register and search. Which seems a bit odd to me. Is it supposed to be like that?

I am not using WordPress multisite, are there plugins you would recommend looking at for ip-banning and anti-spam features that will work with bbPress? Or can I just forget about that for a while until bbPress is released as a stable version?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@jarledb – One of the unique challenges of creating a plugin with a large volume of users is catering to the 80% of users that want to turn it on, and not really mess with it. Different people will want different kinds of login and registration areas on their sites, and everyone with an opinion about where to put them why, is right. Some say sidebar, some say in the content area to draw attention to it, some say tuck it in a drop down menu, etc… All great ideas, but what’s the majority? The majority want it easy, and I think widgets are the easiest way to go right now without making everyone have a login/register page on the forum index of their sites.

Regarding ip-banning/anti-spam, you’re probably safe to hold off for a little bit. There’s no doubt these solutions are going to be needed eventually, and if someone takes the liberty of making an awesome plugin to help out, I’m all ears on how I can help bbPress core work better with it. :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@jarledb – One of the unique challenges of creating a plugin with a large volume of users is catering to the 80% of users that want to turn it on, and not really mess with it. Different people will want different kinds of login and registration areas on their sites, and everyone with an opinion about where to put them why, is right. Some say sidebar, some say in the content area to draw attention to it, some say tuck it in a drop down menu, etc… All great ideas, but what’s the majority? The majority want it easy, and I think widgets are the easiest way to go right now without making everyone have a login/register page on the forum index of their sites.

Regarding ip-banning/anti-spam, you’re probably safe to hold off for a little bit. There’s no doubt these solutions are going to be needed eventually, and if someone takes the liberty of making an awesome plugin to help out, I’m all ears on how I can help bbPress core work better with it. :)

Currently there is no widget for signup, but you can make a page and use the “bbPress – User Registrer” template.

Where do I find the “bbpress – User Register” template?

Currently there is no widget for signup, but you can make a page and use the “bbPress – User Registrer” template.

Where do I find the “bbpress – User Register” template?

Go to the wp dashboard/pages and create a page. On the right side is a box for attributes/template. Scroll until you find the template you need.

Go to the wp dashboard/pages and create a page. On the right side is a box for attributes/template. Scroll until you find the template you need.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar