Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BBPress "Page not found" on 2nd level forums (compatibility with other plugin)

• Patricia BT
    Participant

@patricia70

Hi

This topic is posted on 2 places :

– bbpress.org forum

– premium.wpmudev.org community support forum

While working on a site to be launched on the same day (= I had to have it working ;)

I discovered something interesting

BBpress second level forum (= with a parent forum/category) also in the permalink, will result in page not found.

I searched for this issue and came across a few topics, where it was advised to reapply the permalinks, then save again the BBpress settings, where we set the slugs.

I tried everything there and still the same issue, but it was clearly an issue with rewrite.

So I begun to deactivate every other plugin I have and after every deactivation I tried if second level forums were loading. I thought specifically about security plugins such as Wordfence, Better WPSecurity, but nope.

Finally, it was when ******I deactivated wpmudev’s Pro Sites plugin, that the second level forums were loading.*******

I tried another forum plugin but really I will need BBPress (big amount of subforums necessary on this website)

now I made some tests, and to make short :

– if Pro Sites activated :

-> 1st level forum will work

-> 2nd level forum will not work

– if Pro Sites is deactivated :

-> 1st level forum will work

-> 2nd level forum will work and can be reached with those 2 url

A: example.com/forums/forum/level1/level2

B: example.com/forums/forum/level2

(forums/forum beeing the slugs set in Forums settings page)

is it normal we can reach with 2 different permalinks?

***** and as it changes automatically, is there a way to force (in BBPress code) a subforum permalink to stay 1st level even if in a sublevel? would be interesting also in the case a forum is moved to another category then it wouldn’t change url ***** (and at the same time it would solve/hide the issue with Pro Sites)

so cleary this is a rewrite stuff that goes beyond my knowledge, for info my permalinks are set to the second option /2012/06/07/exemple-article/ and .htaccess present with necessary change in it

I use also buddypress on that site but didn’t go until desactivate it as it worked when I deactivated Pro Site,

the site I was working on has buddypress, but not the groups and forum elements checked, forum beeing BBpress anyway (I also tried to check/uncheck forums in buddypress settings, really not related to the issue)

so I was thinking to install a testsite with only vanilla WP Multisite and buddypress, as I need all my tests done that way

+ for this issue : Pro Sites and BBPress

so if there is anything you tell me to try, it will be done :)

thank you very much in advance (anybody, eveybody :)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Patricia BT
    Participant

@patricia70

Hi again,

that issue is solved as one of the WPMUdev staff developer solved the issue on their plugin, they added

global $wp_query;

to a function

and replaced :

get_queried_object_id()

with :

$wp_query->queried_object_id

in the same function

(WPMUdev is going to release an update of the Pro Sites plugin I guess, for details, see this topic’s comment http://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/pro-sites-incompatibility-with-bbpress?replies=15#post-234125)

I come back here to inform about it, in case someone else encounter the same issue (I saw a lot of “page not found” issues while searching BBPress forums), then it would maybe help to see which kind of code made conflict?

(I don’t know, I’m not a coder)

of course I still do not understand purely on BBPress how is it possible to have 2 possible permalinks for 1 subforum

either : example.com/forums/forum/level1/level2

or : example.com/forums/forum/level2

both url work, and this is not standard I think, anyway…

in any case, this issue is solved for me

josuawahyudi
    Participant

@josuawahyudi

hi, i have the same issue, but i already try to deactivate all plugins and the problem is still there…

this the plugins i use:
    additional information, i use these plugins:
    – akismet
    – easy WP smtp
    – simple local avatars
    – simple shortcodes (reccomendation fro the theme)
    – WP-members
    – WP-pagenavi (reccomendation from theme)

any suggestion for me? i need help desperately…

Robin W

@robin-w

@josuawahyudi – you’re fixed now from your other post (just to save other helpers responding)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar