Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbpress integrated with WordPress integrated with Active Directory

• ethanthekiwi
    Participant

@ethanthekiwi

I integrated bbpress (1.0.2) with WordPress (3.0.1) successfully and integrated WordPress with Active Directory using the Simple LDAP login plugin. I can log in to WordPress then go to bbpress and be logged in still, but if I am not logged in, I cannot login through bbpress using active directory credentials. I can login to bbpress using an account that I created in WordPress. I have WordPress and bbPress installed in different databases, but bbPress uses the WordPress users database. Because the passwords are not stored in the WordPress database, (they are stored in Active Directory) it does not access them. My goal is to create a forum that is simple as possible for my organization’s intranet.

My system:

Turnkey Linux WordPress Appliance

WordPress 3.0.1

bbPress 1.0.2

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• ethanthekiwi
    Participant

@ethanthekiwi

I tried to use the LDAP Authentication plugin for bbPress to let people login, but it gives me this error:

Warning: ldap_bind() [function.ldap-bind]: Unable to bind to server: Invalid credentials in /var/www/wordpress/bbpress/bb-plugins/ldap-authentication.php on line 330

I modified login-form.php in my theme. I changed the form action to my main site’s wp-login.php.

I then changed the name and id attributes of the username and password input boxes to match those that are expected in wp-login.php.

In WordPress, I used Peter’s Redirection plugin to redirect forum users back to the forum when they login.

<form name="loginform" id="loginform" class="login" method="post" action="http://<yoursite>/wp-login.php">
    <div>
    <label for="quick_user_login"><?php _e('Username'); ?></label>
    <input class="input-text" name="log" type="text" id="user_login" size="13" maxlength="40" value="<?php if (!is_bool($user_login)) echo $user_login; ?>" tabindex="1" />

<label for="quick_password"><?php _e( 'Password' ); ?></label>
    <input class="input-text" name="pwd" type="password" id="user_pass" size="13" maxlength="40" tabindex="2" />

<input name="re" type="hidden" value="<?php echo $re; ?>" />
    <?php wp_referer_field(); ?>

<input type="submit" name="Submit" class="submit" value="<?php echo esc_attr__( 'Log in &raquo;' ); ?>" tabindex="4" />
    </div>
    <div class="remember">
    <input name="remember" type="checkbox" id="quick_remember" value="1" checked="checked" tabindex="3"<?php echo $remember_checked; ?> />
    <label for="quick_remember"><?php _e('Remember me'); ?></label>
    </div>
    </form>

ethanthekiwi
    Participant

@ethanthekiwi

Thanks jpbruckler, that works beautifully. The user doesn’t see a thing.

(The only problem I could for see is if a user was logging in through the wordpress side of things they would be redirected to bbpress, but this won’t be a problem for me.)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.