Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress inside a WP Sidebar Widget

• andresferraro

@andresferraro

Tell me if I’m crazy…

I’ve done the “deep” integration of bbPress into WPress – Not sure I needed to go that way, but just in case. It all seems to work. bbPress is running in a subdirectory of wordpress on the root. On WordPress I’m using a flexible theme where I can place and size sidebars anywhere. I have the “Samsarin PHP Widget” plug-in in Wordpres which lets me run PHP in a widget. … So here comes the big question:

What PHP do I have to put inside the widget to get bbPress to display in there?

Any help? Heck – any help getting bbPress to display as a piece of the content of a WP Page so I can put WordPress widgets around it?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Try the other way round, skinning bbPress with your WordPress widgets. Under deep integration, the sidebar functions might work fine. Maybe. bbPress isn’t light enough to just be invoked by a small piece of code in a widget though. That said, there is a WordPress plugin for displaying the latest posts and such from bbPress.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

How much of bbPress are you putting into a widget? The whole forum, fully displayed, or just some content from your forum?

andresferraro

@andresferraro

The thing is its so much easier to just use the WP theme to control the layout and other widgets – I have to mess with very little code. Hopefully just enough to get bbPress to show. So far I’ve tried calling bb-load.php with <?php ‘/home/userpath/public_html/forum/bb-load.php’; ?> inside the PHP widget but I get either no output or a path error depending what I load. Am I wrong to think I’m not that far from getting it to display inside?

andresferraro

@andresferraro

I’m trying to wrap the whole Forum in a WP Page. If there’s a resource limitation I can always try to get more CPU resources.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I don’t know of anyone who has been successful in getting bbPress inside a WordPress page yet.

andresferraro

@andresferraro

I see myself heading over to scriptlance to see if I can find someone to hammer it in somehow.

Hold that thought… This was ridiculously simple and it just popped into my head as I was typing… iFrames.

Darn! It Works! All I did was create a Sidebar as the center of the page, put an HTML widget in it with: <iframe name=”FRAME1″ src=”http://andresferraro.com/forum/&#8221; width=”100%” height=”1000″ frameborder=”0″ ></iframe>

All this into a page called “Forums” … So now my bbPress in /forum is accessible by the WordPress page /forums (note the “s” – one URL will got to bbPress, the other to WordPress) and wrapped inside a WordPress page – With a WP sidebar, header, navigation and footer.. Sure, there might be some duplicate stuff between the bbPRess header/footer and the WordPress one, but it looks a lot better than breaking the site’s continuity.

Check it out! http://andresferraro.com/forums/

Seems I was trying to launch a rocket to the moon when all I needed was some more coffee.

Thanks for the brain jog!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar