Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress as standalone project (as fork)

• jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

Who can help us to keep bbPress as standalone CMS engine?

We will clear up all wp trash from code and will continue bbPress life as new engine.

Simpler, faster, more elegant

Viewing 21 replies - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)

• jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

John, please read above why we need Matt (or somebody who is admin of this site).

johnhiler

@johnhiler

“And main question: Who is admin of this site with full access if Matt left project?”

Is that the part you’re referring to? I guess I’m not understanding what contingency we’re preparing for. Matt has already de facto left the project, and Chris has been doing a wonderful job of making steady progress towards the next release.

Is the concern that if bbpress.org is suddenly shut down, we won’t have a backup of the data? Sorry – just trying to get my head around your concern! :-)

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

Yes, John.

I see big problem: Matt left project, no active admins of this site. Only Chris as moderator.

We don’t know who’s hosting this site, nobody controling FTP.

simpler: we can’t add here new documentation, new version of bbPress to download section, we can’t make new design.

So, we must know – who in charge with this site and can give us (community) more permissions.

…or one day we can open bbpress.org and see… nothing.

that’s why we need Matt for bbPress future

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

about style – i saw that topic long time ago, but where is Sam? you said that there are no alive admins…

Sam has left automattic, but he sometimes replies on the trac tickets. (See the bbPress.org 2.0 – sneak peak topic’s last pages). He has also mailed the design files to some other automattic guy.

Why do we need to bother Matt again? We have everything we need to get the next version out the door… the cavalry isn’t coming to save us, but I think that’s ok.

Atleast we must inform the person whose project it was initially – you wouldn’t like if someone had access to your project and kept making changes, releasing new versions etc. in your absense.

johnhiler

@johnhiler

Yury – I totally agree that we as a community need more control over things like docs, etc.! But I can’t see Matt giving FTP and database rights to us… maybe instead, we can download copies of the various releases and plugins and upload them to a backup server somewhere? And start some docs on another server, as you have. :-)

Honestly – I would be shocked if Automattic shut down bbpress.org without warning. It would be a real black mark on Automattic’s reputation in the open source community, which is something Matt and his team are really proud of (and rightfully so). But if that’s something that a bunch of us are worried about, we can maybe create another thread to discuss how to prepare for that contingency.

Gautam – I’m not too worried about this next release, because Matt pretty clearly defined it before he disappeared:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/whats-happening-with-bbpress/page/5#post-64400

The next version though, we’ll definitely need to establish a clear direction – with or without Matt (but hopefully with him, or someone from Automattic!). But I’m not too worried about informing anyone… we’re posting on a public server, so it’s not like we’re hiding what we’re up to!

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

i’ve got email from Matt:

/start

On 2010-04-13 11:26 PM, Yury Romanov wrote:

> we would like to know: it is possible to get some control over

> bbpress.org site to update design, make new documentation?

Lots of people have access to modify the site.

Please stop bugging me.

/end

who are this people and why we can’t find them?

anybody who “have access to modify the site” – please write here.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

In fairness Yuri, while I’m unhappy at the way Matt has left bbPress, he is incredibly busy and recieves a crazy amount of email due to him being the effective face of the company.

Maybe you should have waited for a response instead of hounding him.

who are this people and why we can’t find them?

“We” is “you” mate. I used this thing called Google (or at least that is what the kids are calling it) and found this:

… documentation team has been put together comprised of Tom39Away, pmall, justintadlock, and Nightgunner5 …

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/documentation-team

https://bbpress.org/blog/2009/12/2009-12-09-meetup/

Things with bbPress aren’t great. No-one is pretending they are. But they’ve not been great for well over a year now, and frankly its not going to change anytime soon. Lets just focus on getting 1.1 (or 1.0.3 – not sue when people started using different numbers) out the door, dealing with all the fall out of WordPress3.0 not integrating; and then we can take stock and see where we are.

Hounding Matt, or anyone from automattic, isn’t going to make the smallest difference I’m afraid.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Matt did mention that about 10 people have access to site – I don’t know the names – maybe chrishajer also has the site access (I am not sure).

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

And for the time being, there’s no need to create a fork. Just create new tickets, contribute patches and after testing, chrishajer might commit them.

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

2kevinjohngallagher: “we” – not “you”. We – people who are insterested in good bbPress future.

2Gautam: no fork, calm down. I made this (radical) topic name to take attention of people who wants bbPress 2.0

i don’t want to fork too,

but, anyway, if we will not find people who’s in charge of this site… we need to make fork.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I believe I am an editor at the bbPress.org WordPress blog. That means I don’t have access to the Appearance tab (to change themes) or to Plugins or Settings. I have access to Pages and Posts so I can made additions or modifications to content there, but I can’t change the design or anything like that.

Honestly though, we have bigger problems than just putting a fresh face on the bbPress.org website. That would be the least of my concerns.

Yury, if you’re not seriously talking about creating a fork, but gave this topic a title like that “to get people’s attention” then you’re trolling, which is not productive.

Right now, we have the bbPress.org forums, which are moderated daily by me. I help out with solutions where I can, or try to pull information out of users who post of problems with very few details, to possibly help some other thoughtful soul who might come along and be able to help.

I don’t touch integration problems at all (“when I log in to bbPress, I am automatically logged out of WordPress” anyone?) because integration is far too complicated with too much voodoo required (PHP5? 777 permissions? pasting in keys and cookie domains that may or may not make a difference?) for someone who just wants to install a forum where their WordPress users can be logged in automatically. For that reason, and a couple others (functional integration [ability to use things like wp_list_pages()] and theme integration (“I want my bbPress to just be a page inside my WordPress site” or “how do I make bbPress look like my WordPress theme?”)) I support the decision to make bbPress a WordPress plugin.

Honestly though, I’m not sure how that will work with custom post types coming in 3.0. Justin Tadlock was playing with an idea that used custom post types to create a forum structure, and it looked pretty neat. He lost that work in a hard drive crash or something, but he mentioned it didn’t take long to do.

http://www.wptavern.com/forum/bbpress/1437-bbpress-off.html#post13939

http://twitter.com/justintadlock/status/10849352003

For those who want bbPress as standalone, please feel free to download the versions that exist right now. Download them daily, in case development ceases at some point. Right now, we’re continuing to fix bugs in the existing versions. After all the bugs are fixed :-) it’s anyone’s guess what will happen.

And with a fork of bbPress you’d arguably have more control (heck, you can fork it now with one of the existing versions, create your own website and distribute the software) but you’d be hard pressed to match the community we have here. It may not be big, but it’s dedicated, and if you’re interested in seeing bbPress continue this is the best place to be.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Oh and talk of “who has access to the site” or who can moderate or admin the forums is largely irrelevant, because these days, no matter who actually has access, it’s just me moderating the forums.

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

i really have idea to fork bbPress and clean wp code out of him when i heard that bbPress will become a WP plugin,

next somebody (maybe Gautam) said that before some version bbPress stays standalone…

really, it’s no reason to make fork, best way to make new simple-forum(cms) engine with my friends, but…

if you have here “dedicated” community and wants some help from me and another people… no reason to blame me (man who wants make wiki about bbpress and help with project) or calling me a troll. thank you.

we need to find admin (with full FTP/DB access) of bbPress.org

that’s what i’m doing past week.

only with him we can make future of bbPress engine

p.s. very strange that people who develop bbPress dont know answer on this simple question? :(

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

bbPress.org is just a WordPress site with a bbPress installation. You have everything you need in the bbPress releases to create your own fork or distribution or CMS engine. Why would you need FTP/DB access to create a project like that? All you need is the bbPress code right?

The person who has access to the database and FTP or server is Matt, or someone who works for him. I believe you’ve already gotten in contact with him.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You added your PS after I replied. There really aren’t any bbPress developers, but the answer to the question of finding the admin is known. Matt Mullenweg would have the final say on anything related to this project.

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

I no need access. I need people who have access.

Matt left project (as u mentioned) and keep people with access. But this people left project too?

p.s. i added ps before u left comment)

p.p.s i don’t want fork good engine before it will become “another wp-plugin” – if you no need our help – it’s ok. just say :(

Markus Pezold
    Participant

@markus-pezold

Hi chris,

thanks for your long post. It’s great to have you here as moderator :)

Honestly though, we have bigger problems than just putting a fresh face on the bbPress.org website. That would be the least of my concerns.

I can understand thoughs – although I’ve made a post about the “fresh face” just minutes ago. After using bbPress more than a year I believe in the future of this project. :) And I will contribute – where I can help. :)

For my thoughts … there should be a defined project team to coordinate the next steps. The weekly IRC meetups in December and January were the right way. To define a document team was also great. But after three months there are only you and Gautam “driving” the project.

Markus

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I think Gautam and I and gerikg and some others realized we don’t need any outside help to move the project forward, at least for the time being. There’s a lot we can do without having the keys to the whole thing.

Several people have mentioned a fresh face for bbPress.org, and it’s long overdue. Sam created one a while back, and matveb created a mockup: http://bit.ly/8Vfecq

The talk at the time, and I can’t recall if it was in email or in the IRC chats, was that we didn’t want to stick bbPress.org with a new design, because WordPress.org was getting a new design, then bbPress.org would be out of date (or dated) again.

So, the theme/template here will wait until after the WordPress.org redesign.

In my opinion though, it would just be window dressing on a project that’s just limping along.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Yury, what will you do with “people who have access”? What do they need access to, and why do you need it to move forward?

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

/start

I think Gautam and I and gerikg and some others realized we don’t need any outside help to move the project forward, at least for the time being. There’s a lot we can do without having the keys to the whole thing.

/end

After that words… i see your position. It’s very bad position for open-source project.

Markus Pezold
    Participant

@markus-pezold

Hi Chris,

thanks for your answer. So I only continue to help here in the forum. :)

Markus

Viewing 21 replies - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar