Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress appears as subdirectory of /blog: need to move

• Holly
    Participant

@holly_lisle

I followed the instructions for installing the WordPress plugin of bbPress.

However, doing this invariably puts the live bbPress forum in the following directory:
    /mysite.com/blog/forums

Clicking the /blog breadcrumb will drop my users into the weblog. Ideally, I’d prefer to have the nesting as follows:
    /mysite.com/classrooms/forums

But if that’s not possible, having it exist as /mysite.com/forums would also work.

The most recent thread I could find on this issue was four years ago, and suggested using freestanding bbPress, which won’t work with my membership software (MemberMouse).

Thanks for any help you can offer on changing my setup.

Current site is password-secured DEV: WordPress Version 3.6.1, bbPress v.2.4
    Site URL available privately if necessary.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Just create a page in your menu system called forums wherever you want it, and add the following shortcode
    [bbp-forum-index]

Holly
    Participant

@holly_lisle

A simple solution. Thank you so much. That worked beautifully.

Process of Illumination
    Participant

@process_of_illumination

Hi Robin,

“having it exist as /mysite.com/forum”

would be the perfect solution for me, since my standalone bbpress is already at /mysite.com/forum/, and my wordpress blog is at /mysite.com/blog/ (they are both in production).

Would your solution work in my case?

Where exactly should I add the shortcode [bbp-forum-index]?

Thank you very much!

Process of Illumination
    Participant

@process_of_illumination

up, thanks.

Robkk

@robkk

@process_of_illumination

if you are really using bbpress v1 then it wouldnt work.

i think that shortcode is only for the newer bbpress v2 wordpress plugin

Process of Illumination
    Participant

@process_of_illumination

@Robkk

thank you for your answer.

I already installed bbpress v2 wordpress plugin on my wordpress blog, I only need to find out how to keep the same url for my forum when I import it.

my blog:
    http://www.site.ext/blog/

my forum:
    http://www.site.ext/forum/

How do I instruct wordpress, when I use the import tool, to keep the old url for the forum (www.site.ext/forum/ instead of http://www.site.ext/blog/forum/)?

Thank you.

POI

Robkk

@robkk

well you can have wordpress at the root of your whole site and not just have it in a folder.

if you do that all you would have to do is create a seperate blog page and a static home page.

your blog page would show all your recent posts like it would by default.

if you install bbPress while WordPress is not in a subfolder , by default the forum archive url will be yoursite.com/forums but you could change the forum slug to ‘forum’ or remove the ‘forums’ slug because your url will look like yoursite.com/forum/forum/forum-name instead of the default yoursite.com/forums/forum/forum-name.

Does that work out for you?? or is there a specific reason you want wordpress to be in a blog folder.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar