Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BBpress and Studiopress (Genesis)–Can Someone Please Tell Me If This Works?

• I have wordpress, and I use the genesis (studiopress) framework. I REALLY like the look and feel of BBpress, but I was playing around with it and I noticed that it said “Theme does not support bbpress” or something like that on the admin page.

My question is this: Does the Genesis connect plugin fix this? Or is there special coding needed to make genesis (or a child theme) work with the BBpress platform?

I really wanted to keep my blog design the same, and BBpress would allow me to do this nicely, while adding an elegant (and simplistic) way for people to discuss topics.

Thanks!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• pimarts
    Participant

@pimarts

It probably says “Theme does not natively support bbPress”. This shouldn’t be much of a problem. It says the same in my admin too and it works just fine.

Either bbPress tries to give some proper styling itself or you can get it done yourself with custom CSS.

Ah, thank you.

I noticed that there is no “register” section. Perhaps that is a CSS issue?

Also, when I typed in the domain/forums/register.php, it gives me a 404 not found error.

Could that be css? Do I need the genesis connect plugin?

pimarts
    Participant

@pimarts

Quick check: Are you using the bbPress WordPress plugin (currently at RC1) ? Or the stand-alone edition? I was talking about the WordPress plugin.

The plugin uses the WordPress login / register functions. There’s no separate register page for the forums.

Yes, I was experimenting with the wordpress plugin (not the stand alone).

So the plugin doesn’t have a “register” page, (aside from sending them toa wordpress admin)?

pimarts
    Participant

@pimarts

domain/wp-login.php?action=register should do the trick.

There are shortcodes for the following though, so you might be able to make your own register page (I’m running bbPress in combination with BuddyPress so I don’t need it):

[bbp-login]

[bbp-register]

[bbp-lost-pass]

Wow, this was really helpful. Thank you so much. I will be playing with this today, and I think this is going to work now.

Have a great day!

I’m able to get a user to register just fine, (I tested it myself) but once I’m logged in as a different user, it doesn’t allow me to see the forum. I’ve got screen shots I can share, but not sure how to upload here.

pimarts
    Participant

@pimarts

Did you set the forum to private or hidden?

Or do you run any role / capabilities plugin? (Like ‘members’ for instance)

I don’t think so. The only thing that might be close is this plugin: Help

Register Plus Redux

but the settings don’t say anything about roles.

The forum is set to private – but that’s because I want people to be logged in to see it. Is that not an option?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar